45.2 Ten Minute Girlfriend (Rooster - Bradley Bradshaw)

(Published March 10, 2024) 

   The clock read eleven thirty five when my phone started vibrating at random moments.  I dropped my head on my open textbook, telling myself that if it vibrated more than five times that I really ought to make sure it wasn't an emergency.  As it vibrated a forth time, I wondered if I was ever going to make it through this chapter without being interrupted.  A fifth vibration confirmed that I would not. 
   I sat upright and stray strands of my hair tumbled into my face.  Blowing them away unsuccessfully, I grabbed my phone.  Through the wispy strands that remained, I read Bradley's name on the lock screen and groaned.  It couldn't be good if he was texting me that many times within a five minute period.  He had probably forgotten his mother's birthday again or something similar.  I prepared myself for an emergency birthday present run for him as I opened the messages.  Before I could read them, his contact picture filled the screen as he called me!  
   "Dude, I didn't even get to read your messages yet," I laughed after answering his call.  
   "Sorry," He said in a whisper.  "I know you're probably busy, but I need your help." 
   "Okay.  Should I be worried about why you're whispering on a phone call?" I asked, lifting a questioning eyebrow even though he couldn't see it.  
   "No...  Well, yes.  Don't rush me, I'm getting there." 
   "O-okay." 
   "So," He paused, taking a quick breath.  "You know that thing you told me not to do?" 
   I racked my brain, trying to think of which instance he could be talking about.  There were a number of times just in the past few months when I had warned him against doing something while doubting he'd listen to my logic.  I thought hard, but ended up still guessing.  
   "You'll have to be more specific, Bradshaw." 
   He sighed.  "The vacation romance story thing." 
   I sank into my chair, my lips pursing tightly.  Did I hang up, yell at him, or let him continue in order to find out just how big of a mess he had made with his little fib this time.  It was a tie between the first and the last options.  Yelling at him while he was a continent away where he couldn't see the steam pouring out of my ears was pointless.  To hang up or to listen?  Hmm... 
   "Don't be mad, okay?  It wasn't really my fault.  Hangman was giving me shit, so I tossed out your name and dug myself a hole.  Now he wants proof."  
   "What kind of proof?" I asked in a flat tone.  
   "Uh, FaceTime."  
   "Bradley Bradshaw?" 
   "Yes?" 
   "I really wish you were here so I could kick your butt." 
   He snorted.  "That'd be something worth seeing.  Seriously, though, just a few minutes on FaceTime.  That's all." 
   "And how exactly do you think that's going to prove it to them?" I demanded.  I did not see this going well at all.  In fact, I could see this digging him an even deeper hole.  Possibly to China.  Pressing a hand to my forehead, I suppressed a groan.  
   "Because they'll see that you're real!" 
   "And they'll know right away that we're faking because I'm not your girlfriend!" 
   "Do you want to be?" 
   I glared at the collage of photos on the wall over my desk.  "First of all, you did not just ask me that over the phone." 
   "Look, I'm running out of options here, Luce.  Unless you want to FaceTime now and I'll ask you face to face?" 
   "Second of all," I continued what I was saying before he interrupted.  "No!  I'm mad at you." 
   He sighed heavily.  "Ten minutes.  You be my girlfriend for a ten minute FaceTime call, and I'll owe you a year's worth of York mints." 
   Ooo, he played a cruel hand.  I chewed on my bottom lip, considering the offer.  I was currently out of mints, which was unfortunate especially with it being exam week.  Not that he could get them to me this week, but it was still tempting with my system on minty chocolatey goodness withdrawal.  
   "Please, Lucy?  My reputation is at stake here." 
   That was the final straw.  He was my best friend.  I really ought to help him. 
   "Fine.  But you owe me big time, Bradshaw!" 
   "Thank you," He said with a huge breath of relief.  "I'll call you in twenty?" 
   "Fine.  Fine," I groaned.  
   This was going to be a disaster.  
   Jumping up from my desk, I quickly marched over to my dresser.  I pull out one of my prettier shirts and traded my comfy college t-shirt for it.  I hurried towards the bathroom, pulling out my tangled hair tie that wasn't doing it's job anyway.  In probably a new record time, I had brushed my hair and teeth, painted on a modest red lipstick, and put on a thin coat of mascara to make myself somewhat presentable.  It wasn't good, but it was the best I could do on such short notice.  I jogged back to my desk and perched myself on the chair there, my stomach flipping with nerves.  
   Why was I doing this for him?  Sure, he was my best friend...  But normal best friends didn't do this kind of thing for each other, did they?  Who asked their best friend to be their girlfriend for only ten minutes?  Seemed like a cruel trick to play on one's heart.  
   That thought shocked me and I shook my head abruptly.  I didn't know where that thought had come from, but it wasn't supposed to be in my head.  My heart was fine.  He was my best friend, nothing more.  This was about saving his reputation because he was a lunatic and hated being picked on by peers. 
   Suddenly, my phone started vibrating again.  I let out a large sigh before picking it up and accepting the FaceTime call.  
   Three males were sitting on the other side of the screen with curious eyes.  Bradley was holding the phone up so I could see them all, the fear in his eyes a little too evident.  
   "Hey Brad, sup?" I greeted as casually as I could.  
   "Hey princess, the guys wanted to meet you," He stated in a voice that was surprisingly confident.  
   I inwardly cringed at the cheesy nickname he had decided to use.  
   "Nice to finally meet the girl Rooster's been blabbing about," The dark skinned guy on his right stated.  "I'm Coyote." 
   "You mean, nice to know she's a real person this time?" The blond on his left chortled.  
   "Ah, you must be Hangman," I noted, causing all three of them to look surprised.  
   "Good guess, doll.  He must talk about me a lot, huh?" 
   Bradley glared at him, making him laugh again.  
   "So, was his vacation as romantic as he made it out to be?" Coyote asked with a teasing tone in his voice.  
   "Probably not.  Though, I do think the ice cream date was pretty sweet, in more ways than one," I shrugged with a small smile.  I really hoped I was pulling this off.  
   The two pilots on either side of Bradley exchanged looks, so he must've mentioned the ice cream pit stop to them, too.  I inwardly sighed in relief.  
   "Sorry to cut this short, but we're on duty in a couple of minutes.  Talk to you later?" My best friend asked with his own lips in a small smile.  
   "Of course, like you'd get out of it," I gave a small laugh.  "Stay safe." 
   "Will do.  Study hard.  Love ya." 
   Before I could say anything in reply or even register what he said, the call was ended.  I leaned back in my chair, letting out an audible sigh this time as I dropped the phone on my desk.  Well, whether it worked or not, I was glad that was over.  I could mark 'saving best friend's reputation' off of my bucket list...  After I added it, that is.  
   My phone vibrated yet again, startling me a little.  I snatched it off of the desk top, glancing at the text message there.  It was Bradley again.  
   U saved my life.  Ty ty ty.  I will give u shit loads of mints and kisses when I see u next.  Ur the best.  
   The fact that my heart flipped a little when I read the word 'kisses'.  I knew he meant the chocolate kind, so that was no reason for that kind of reaction.  I shook my head aggressively, causing my hair to fly about my head in random strands.  The whole thing was just confusing.  
   Glancing at the clock on my screen, I saw that the ten minutes were up.  I let out a long breath of relief before reaching for my hair tie.  Maybe now I could get some studying done!  
   ...If my brain would focus, that is.