17. Stubborn Girl (Bob - Robert Floyd)

(Published September 26, 2022)

   Due to my careful planning, Bob had no idea that I had taken the day off. He was out on a routine flight, leaving me free to arrange my surprise for him with no worries or interruptions. Which was what I needed, since this surprise required a lot of preparation.
   When he came through the front door after work, I was just putting the final touches on myself. Tying the narrow scarf around my head as a headband, I left the bedroom and skipped down the stairs.
   "Hun, I'm home," Bob called.
   "Hey, how was work?" I asked, hopping off of the last step and turning the corner to meet him in the hallway.
   "It was good, just, um, long." He seemed to lose what he was going to say when he glanced at me, pausing in pulling off his shoes. "You look great, Faith. Are we- did we have plans tonight that I forgot about?"
   "No, I decided to surprise you." I walked over to him and pressed a quick kiss to his cheek. "Would you like to clean up a little?"
   He nodded, pushing his glasses back into place. "Y-yeah, please."
   "You don't have to get fancy like me," I assured him, smoothing down the lacy skirt of my lavender dress. "I just felt like it."
   A knowing smile appeared on his lips. Ever now and then I'd dress up a touch more than the occasion required just because I felt like it, so he was used to it. I was simply glad he put up with my crazy spur-of-the-moment days.
   "I'll meet you on the porch."
   He nodded and disappeared up the stairs that I had just come from.
   Biting my smiling lip, I spun and scuttled out onto the back porch. The table was still as I had left it with the best dishes carefully placed on a navy blue table cloth. I snatched the match box, but had to strike the match three times before it would light. Once I got it going, I brought the little yellow flame to the cold wicks of the three large candles set in the center of the table. Taking a step back, I gleefully admired my hard work on the special set up.
   Now all I needed was my special man!
   I was standing just off to the side of the slider door when Bob appeared a few minutes later. His eyes widened at the sight of the porch. Yellow christmas lights were clipped carefully to the roof, making the silver garland around the porch railing glitter and the disco ball over the table flash. The candles gently lit the pretty table setting and the somewhat decent meal I had thrown together and a cheap bottle of wine. A radio tucked on the window sill played 'I'll Never Find Another You' by The Seekers, and crickets added the finishing touch. It was as romantic as I could make it, and my eyes searched his face for a shared opinion.
   "Wow," Was all he could say at first. Then, he turned to me and smiled nervously. "I should've dressed up more."
   I patted the long sleeved maroon shirt he had put on, paired with black jeans and a pair of sneakers. With my own feet in worn canvas shoes, we matched pretty well. I assured him that he looked good, and he accepted it, sort of.
   "You really outdid me, sweetie." Bob blushed a little, rubbing the back of his neck with his hand. His other hand, which had been hidden behind his back the whole time, emerged with a bouquet of Black Eyed Susies, my favorite flower. They were tied with a black ribbon with a card hanging from it.
   "Oh, you remembered!"
   I knew I shouldn't have been surprised that he remembered our one year anniversary of our first date, but the words slipped out. I happily took the bouquet and opened the card a little. Inside was a gift card to Olive Garden, where we had gone on this night one year ago. I beamed up at him, my reaction making him smile.
   "How could I forget?" He murmured.
   "Things happen; I wouldn't have held it against you. This makes it all so much better, though." I gazed at the flowers for another moment before the butterflies exploded in my stomach. Tonight was the night!
   We ate rather quickly, both of us hungry from our busy day. The conversation was casual and pleasant, and when there were silences from us eating, the music filled in nicely. Even with everything being calm and normal, my stomach twisted with nerves.
   "This is wonderful, Faith," Bob said again once we were done eating. "I feel bad that I hadn't thought of it."
   "Well, there's a reason I went all out..." I trailed off, folding my hands into my lap. 'Devoted To You' by The Everly Brothers set the mood perfectly!
   "More than our anniversary?" He asked, puzzled.
   "Yes. With you going off on that assignment so soon, I've been thinking about some things." I began. As I did, his face twisted into one of worry. Still, I continued.
   "I've fallen for you, Bob. This one year has been so happy for me, and I hope for you, too. We've had many adventures and made lots good memories. Every night when you step through that door, on a good or a bad day, life is okay again. And this week, I've realized I don't want to live without that. Without you. I love you. Bob, will you marry me?"
His expression went from one of shock to one of pure joy in a moment. He stammered random sounds for a moment before dragging his hand over his mouth and leaning back in his chair. He stared at me for a moment, that dorky smile I love so much lighting up his blushing face.
   "Yes," He finally managed.
   We both jumped to our feet and I flung myself into his arms. I laughed as he spun me in a circle before setting me on my feet. Then, out of nowhere, he pressed a kiss to my smiling lips. When he pulled away, we both laughed.
   "You've never been afraid of taking charge," He said fondly.
   I shook my head. "Why wait for someone else to do something that I'm perfectly capable of doing myself?"
   He chuckled, pulling me close so our foreheads touched. "Stubborn girl."
   "You love me anyways!"
   "I love you for you, stubbornness and all."
   "Ditto, my love."