44. Little Things (Hangman - Jake Seresin)

(Published January 29, 2024)

   The easiest way to scare someone is by sneaking up on them while they're in an intense part of their novel.  Said sneaking person might not even be sneaking on purpose.  They might just be walking casually into a room and the reading person doesn't even notice because they're so immersed that the real world has dissolved around them.  This happens more often than you think.  And this is something Jake has yet to learn.
   "Hey, did you-"
   His words were cut off as I jumped in surprise.  As I jolted back to the real world, my heart began to slow it's erratic pace some.  I pressed a hand to my chest, giving my boyfriend a half hearted glare.  In his defense, he did look concerned at my reaction.
   "Are you okay?"
   "Yep, just having a heart attack.  All good here." I set my book aside, knowing I'd have to restart the chapter later in order to get the full effect of the exciting scene again.  Later, when Jake wasn't around to unintentionally scare the heck out of me.
   "Sorry," He chuckled.  "Anyway, did you make plans for tonight?"
   "No, why?"
   "Because I wanted to take you out for supper."
   I lifted an eyebrow, a small grin playing with my lips.  "What's the occasion?"
   "Nothing in particular.  I just thought it'd be nice to go out." He fiddled with a tie in his hands, drawing my attention to his outfit.  He was wearing black jeans and a nice forest green button down.  The tie in his grasp was black and dark grey.  He was dressed awful fancy for just a night out.  I got to my feet, suddenly feeling lazy in my sweatpants and t-shirt. 
   "Why the get up?" I asked softly, unsure if how to handle this strange moment. 
   He grinned.  "You don't think I'm going to show you off while looking like a couch potato, do you?"
   "You do make a good couch potato," I joked along with him.  "Where are we going?"
   "I was thinking maybe that little Mediterranean place on the north side of town."
   My eyes widened a little.  We had driven past it a month ago and I thought it looked quaint.  I had mentioned it to him just in a brief comment, but figured he hadn't even heard me.  Maybe I had been wrong. 
   "I didn't think you were paying attention," I blurted out. 
   He just reached out and brushed his fingers across my cheek.  "I was.  Not very well, since we were lost at the time."
   I laughed a little at the memory, making him grin wider. 
   "But I was, princess."
   I took a step closer to him and hugged him close.  "What have I done to deserve you?"
   "I think that's the other way around, baby." He chuckled again.  "What you put up with from me..."
   "True.  Scaring me out of a good book, how could you?" I scolded playfully, pulling back to see his sparkling eyes. 
   "Well, I have concerns about those romance novels of yours," He stated.  "They could be filling your head with a lot of high expectations for me to try and meet."
   "Or they could give me a lot of good advice and knowledge," I countered smoothly. 
   He grinned.  "Any advice I might want to read?"
   "Oh, get your mind out of the gutter, you," I groaned.  "I'd better go get changed, if we're going out."
   "Help me with the tie first?" He asked, putting on his best puppy dog eyes. 
   He knew I loved to tie his ties for him.  He knew how and his always looked good, but it was just something I loved helping with.  I smiled warmly at his thoughtfulness. 
   Taking the tie from his large fingers, I carefully draped it around his neck.  At this point, our faces were very close together and I could sense that he would really like to kiss me.  It was in the way his face turned towards mine just that little bit.  So, I decided to tempt him more and turn my face a touch towards his, too.  Before I could even think about continuing to tie the neckwear, his lips found mine. 
   His mouth was gentle, but determined to get a full kiss.  I obliged, letting my hands curl over his shoulders.  Our lips moved almost in sync, dancing in a way that always left me dizzy, in a good way.  When he finally let the kiss end, I had to take a deep breath to regain my train of thought. 
   I moved to focus on the tie, but he had other ideas.  He wanted another kiss.  He tried leaning towards me again.  I shook my head, biting my lip as a grin snuck onto my face.  He hummed disapprovingly and tried to lift my chin with his hand.  Laughing, I took a few steps away from him. 
   "We're never going to get anywhere if you keep this up," I warned. 
   "True, but would it be such a bad thing?"
   I laughed again.  "You look good without the tie.  Now, I'm going to go get ready before you think up anymore distractions!" 
   He grinned widely, glancing over at the couch.  "I'll just keep myself occupied with your book while I wait."
   I darted over and scooped up my book.  Hugging the hardcover to my chest, I glared playfully at him as I marched out of the room.  His deep chuckle followed me into the hall.  As I headed to my room, I let out a contented sigh. 
   Man, was I a lucky girl!