22. Loss For Words (Iceman - Tom Kazansky) Requested

(Published February 12, 2023)

   It was Valentine's Day.  Not a widely celebrated day in the Navy, but the guys and gals were usually given a few minutes off to call their sweethearts.  Those that could, anyway.  I could not, since I didn't have a sweetheart.  Still, I had a good friend and that was good enough for me! 
   Stepping onto the deck, I glanced around in hopes of spotting said friend.  It didn't take me long.  Iceman was in his usual spot, using his few minutes off to soak up some sun and relax.  Grinning, I marched over to him, hiding my hands behind my back. 
   "Laying around again, Ice?" I stated, chuckling when he startled slightly at my unexpected words. 
   "We keep busy enough, I think I earned a few lazy minutes." He chuckled, pulling off his aviators to squint up at me.  "You don't look like you're working, Cat."
   "I'm making a delivery," I pulled my hands out from behind my back and handed him the small bag of heart shaped chocolates.  "Happy Valentine's, Kazansky!"
   His expression fell into one of shock.  He stood, but he was very slow in taking the bag from me.  I kept the smile on my face and watched him, now having to squint because of the sun and his height.  He seemed lost for words for a minute, his eyes holding a hint of an emotion that I couldn't read. 
   "It's nothing fancy, but I'd still hide it or the other guys are gonna steal it." I joked, hoping to get a reaction from him. 
   His responding smile was a nervous one.  "They won't find it."
   "Good," I clasped my hands behind my back and rocked back on my heels.  "Hopefully this isn't weird, I just thought since you're my closest friend, it'd be nice."
   "It is nice, thank you," He stated, finally seeming to shake off whatever was bothering him and he gave me a candid smile.  "I feel bad, I didn't get you anything."
   "Oh, I don't need anything!  Don't want to start any rumors." I shrugged, still grinning so he knew I really didn't mind. 
   "Yeah."
   I glanced up at him, slightly concerned.  His normal responses had vanished, as had his typical arrogance.  I wondered if maybe I had done something to bring back bad memories.  I hoped not.  He didn't look upset, but then he could hide things rather well. 
   Before I registered what was happening, he leaned forward and gave me a kiss.  Not a normal kiss on the cheek or the lips, but a lingering one right on the corner of my mouth.  When he pulled away, I could see how nervous he was in his pale eyes.  So, to spare him any further torment, I beamed up at him. 
   "Well, you sure know how to give a girl the perfect gift," I told him cheesily. 
   "It might start a rumor," He pointed out.  
   "Eh, I deal with rumors constantly.  Every week, someone thinks I have a different guy." I rolled my eyes.  "Being a female pilot means too much attention."
   He chuckled.  "Why don't I save you from future rumors?"
   "Why?" I threw my arms out and looked around.  "It's a small boat, so no one really believes them anyway.  They just do it for entertainment."
   "What if I want you?"
   "Besides-" I lost my train of thought as his words sunk in.  "Um...  What?"
   "I want you as my Valentine date.  And my Forth of July date.  And my Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years date.  I-I just want to be with you." He stammered a little at the end, his nervousness returning. 
   My eyes had widened at his words and now I didn't know how to respond. 
   "This is when you say you like me, too." He was joking, but his eyes showed how true his words were. 
   "Well, then," I began, licking my lips to drag out my response a little.  "I like you, too, Ice."
   "Good," He chuckled, pulling me closer to him and resting his forehead on mine. 
   "Thundercat and Iceman sitting in a tree, k i s s i n g." Two pilots we flew with regularly called teasingly as they passed us. 
   "Annnnnnd here we go." I groaned as he laughed again. 
   "It's just for their entertainment." He reminded me. 
   "Precisely."