015 - real life

"I don't know how we're supposed to work on the album when we're getting wasted in some random bar." Joe circled his forefinger around the edge of the glass Gracie had ordered for him. Harley sat in the stool to his left, her elbow resting up against the peanut-shell covered counter and her chin in her hand. She intimately watched as he swiveled almost perfectly around the glass.

"Who said I was getting wasted tonight?" She retorted, her grin smudged from the edge of her palm. Joe shifted his focus to her, replicating the grin and scoffing. 

"You're very confusing, Harley. Has anyone told you that?" He lifted the glass up to his lips and took a swig of the alcohol that took its shape. His metal glasses hung on his nose and his hair messily strayed in different directions.

"And how am I confusing?" She ridiculed, her jaw dropping. A slight laugh escaped from her lips. 

"Well, let's see... You best friend invites you out on the town and you don't even talk to her. Instead, you're here boggling at me." He set his drink down and swiveled his stool to directly face her. He mocked her posture, his chin in his hand.

"I am not boggling at you." She dropped her hand from her chin and set it on the counter. 

He teased her, wiggling his brows. "Oh, really? Because earlier, when I was invited to the group chat, I saw something that completely shocked me to my core."

"Ew, please don't ever use that phrase again." She laughed out, raising her hands in front of her in exaggeration. 

"Apparently, Charlie and Nat are trying to set us up." 

"Whaaat? No way..." She tried to lie, obviously failing. "Sorry, I sent a text and then they went on this whole tangent about you."

"What text?" 

"It's not important... Really." She tucked a loose strand of hair behind her ear and turned away from him in embarrassment. 

"Whatever you say, Davidson."

"My last name is How-"

"I know." A smile played at his lips before he turned back to his drink. A wave of butterflies flew through her stomach, his heart completely skipping a beat.