032 - real life

Harley sat at the foot of her bed, her hands clutching her knees tightly to her chest. The previously applied mascara had melted down her cheeks, leaving black stains under her piercing blue eyes. 

She carried her hand up to her neckline. Her necklace wasn't there. She angstily searched the area of her neck for Joe's gift, her fingers nearly digging into her skin. It was the one thing she had left of him now. 

Then, there was a slight glimmer from the top of her vanity. The light had shone into the bedroom just enough for it to reveal itself. With a sigh of relief, she removed her hand from her neck and anxiously played with her fingers, unsure of what to do next. 

Her phone abruptly buzzed from the vanity, leaving Harley to quickly reach over and answer it. "Nat?" A hint of remorse flowed through her, her voice nearly cracking. 

Natalia's voice was barely over a whisper. "I heard what happened... Is everything alright? Did he leave town or...?"

"I don't- I don't know. God, I'm such an ass. I should've just told him... We could've worked it all out." 

"Harley... Check your twitter notifications..." 

Confusion set into Harley's face. She swiped Natalia's name from her screen and opened the blue app. Twenty-seven mentions. Harley clicked into the mentioned post, revealing a picture of Joe at a local cafe, his head in his hands. '@notharley_ this your man?'. 

She managed to let out a relieved breath, her lips perking up. "I'll call you later, Nat..."

*

Harley walked the sidewalk of the supposed street Joe was spotted at, her eyes roaming every person who came into her sight. She drifted her hand onto someone's shoulder, ultimately realizing that it wasn't him. "Sorry."

She had almost given up her search before she noticed her father sitting across someone outside of the cafe. Joe. The only thing that stopped her from running into his arms was the small box he fidgeted with in his hand.