Chapter 2

"He said I'm too young to join him." Sophia, Exclusive Breeder to Alpha Dominic, scooped the last of her yogurt from the single-use plastic container. "That's why I'm still in my old room."

"But even if you weren't, you aren't expected to stay every night with him, right?" Sarah, Video Game Extraordinaire of Crescent Valley Pack, replied.

"I don't know. I guess. Until he finds his mate."

"And then you're out?"

"Maybe."

The courtyard offered peace and sunshine but no backrests. Concrete flat tops around the planters had just a few spots clean enough to trust your uniform on. Not that there was a line waiting to sit there.

They were out of sight of the glass doors that led to the cafeteria. Air conditioning lured most students inside, whereas the absence of most students is what lured this pair outside.

The more distance between her and the others, the better. She couldn't recall how many times she had her clothing tugged, been tripped, or had gum put in her hair. She eventually took to wearing it in a bun so it would be easier to freeze the stuck-in candy off without cutting.

He had asked her if this assignment was what she wanted. It was hard to say yes to, but what was her option? To wait until she was older. Why? What if he found his mate before she was his?

A familiar tension pulled her chest tight. No. No one would come to defend her if she was put up for expulsion from the pack or, goddess forbid, to death.

"He's not just a wolf, Sophia. He's lycan." Brown eyes danced above freckled cheeks, looking concerned. "Does he expect you to... breed lycan?"

"I don't know," the blonde whispered. As if she spoke too loudly, it might happen. "Hopefully, just wolves. But it doesn't change anything. I will."

A hand clasped her leg. The show of sincerity was the only thing a friend could do.

"It's been two months since then, and he's left you alone. Maybe he's only doing this for show and doesn't intend to use you at all."

The warning bell rang, informing everyone that they had five minutes to throw out their trash, grab their backpacks, and get to class.

Swinging open the industrial double doors, she took stock of how much less stress she felt maneuvering through crowded hallways. It had been precisely sixty-three days since she had received an aggressive shoulder bump. It's been about nine weeks since she landed on the floor from a shove to the back. Her hair has almost three months of uninterrupted growth.

But the snickers remained. Rude comments wouldn't endanger a potential heir alpha.

That's OK. Having friends was overrated. Maybe. She wouldn't know. But she's good with her studies, the courtyard, and her one friend.

"I can't believe she's going to be the one giving us our future alpha." Emphasis on the "she's." At least Lynsie was keeping her gum in her mouth. "She probably doesn't even know what to do. That's why she isn't carrying yet. He hardly has the time to teach her."

A trio of high-pitched sugar-laced giggles erupted at the thought of Sophia fumbling her way through, whatever the hell she was supposed to do with him. It wouldn't hurt so bad if they weren't right.

"What if you're his mate? What would you do about her?" Hardly keeping her voice down, the curly-haired brunette of Lynsie's posse added an extra sweep of the breeder's assets as she passed to enter the classroom.

"Oh, I don't know." The voice maintained the same volume, following her inside. "Luna's privilege and all. I'm clever enough to eliminate a problem without creating new ones."