Chapter 17

"Lynsie was the first to report her attack, and then others stepped forward," Sophia Clark, independent student, advised. "That's why he keeps leaving. He's trying to track down and identify the assailant."

"Her whole family took it hard, especially since her little sister almost got hurt too, but her dad was devastated. He said if he couldn't protect his family, what good is he?" Nancy Atmore, newcomer and recovering bubble gum chewer, winced with the others.

"Other packs have been hit, and just like here, it wasn't really known," Sarah Tyson, not of the chicken fortune, offered her contribution. "So it's a good thing she said something, but she still shouldn't have tried to harm you."

The trio of students all nodded in agreement. Three textbooks, three sets of notes, and three chairs were tucked into a study table in the mostly complete yet empty library. New windows meant to look old spanned two floors. The warm afternoon glow diffused through the glass and lit up the developing space. Dark wood finish, empty shelves, and images of flowers in bloom over bright colored backgrounds promised a beautiful and scholastic gathering place.

"If it wasn't that, it would have been something else. Let's face it, she was after you before you were marked and longer than the prowler has been active," Nancy spoke up. "I don't wish ill on her, but to blame everything on that incident would be naïve." Eyes shot wide before blurting out, "Unless Alpha Dominic decided to do that. It's his call, and I didn't mean to say that about him."

A light laugh and warm smile received the backpedaling. "Don't worry, this is our conversation. He's not here for it." Elbows on the table and hovering over her study material, "So I'm stuck in here, but what are you two doing to protect yourselves?"

"They've increased the patrols, which would be helpful if it were a rogue." A lower lip got pulled into a set of teeth while a curly-headed she-wolf contemplated. "But there's something that doesn't seem right about that."

"You think he's from our pack? But he would be known." Sarah's eyes enlarged.

"No," she said to herself and paused to pull clues together. "What if he were invited? The fact that there were no consistent trails onto or off the territory reported for the dates of the attacks is odd. He's not using scent suppression spray because the she-wolves smelled him." Her eyes scanned the duo. "Who would be so bold as to repeatedly attack without trying to cover up his identity?"

A drip of sweat beaded on the only student without real homework's forehead and fell down her temple. Cramping started rolling through her gut in light waves, and her focus zoned out before all symptoms faded.

"Sophia, how are you feeling?" Sarah's stare matched Nancy's while both looked over the one whose color faded and returned.

"I'm OK, just short bursts of, I don't know. It's probably just stress from all the changes in my life."

A screech of a chair being pushed back echoed off empty surfaces. "I should be heading home anyway. Want us to come by tomorrow after school?" Sarah started the trend that ended with all she-wolves standing and packing their study materials.

Shaking her head, "No, Domi... Alpha Dominic will be back tomorrow mid-day. Maybe next week?"

"Sure, but you should probably rest and call Doc Amy. I hear there's a bug going around."

Escorting her study group to the door was quick. The smattering of fresh air on her face was refreshing. By the time she reached the hallway with the stairs at the end, the warmth and exhaustion were returning. The lift was the best option to help her on her journey to bed.

A hand helped steady her for the roughest ride that elevator had ever given her. Something must be wrong. She can call it in tomorrow if someone hasn't already.