Chapter 25

Expectations are a funny thing. They can taint what you see so much that reality lags behind your imagination.

Sophia predicted that she would be joined by an eight-foot-tall beast or at least claws. What she thought she saw were undulations before a transformation.

What was happening was swaying and faltering before a collapse onto a settee. Legs, stronger than most trees, gave out and caused the massive frame to free fall.

Nope, the bending of his body was not coordinated enough. Instead of the furniture breaking his downward movement, he didn't stop until his ass was on the floor.

The thud broke through and delivered the news that they were going in a direction she was unprepared for.

"I'm not sure, though, which is strange."

His face was in his palms as if his back also suffered the release of strength his legs just underwent. A slight rolling back and forth of his neck as he seemed to be wrapping his mind around their situation.

"If you're thinking it, then it's true." Sweaty and pasty, his face lifted, and pure sorrow lined his eyes. "Especially with you suddenly reacting to me the way you are."

He's right. The storm of revulsion that was building in her, at odds with her long-standing emotions, interfered with her actions. There was a warm and steady burn to be with him and quick surges of energy to repel her from his touch.

Fingers rolled through his hair as his head sunk between a set of knees. "This is your out. The one area I can't and won't influence you." Even curled up, he was big. On the floor, hunched over, he still seemed larger than anyone else she had ever met.

But what is this craziness he's talking about? Is he implying that she should leave him, her pack, and be mated to a rapist?

"Do you know what you're going to do yet?" He sounded helpless.

In a soft voice, clearly confused by the direction this was going. "What are my options?"

Maintaining his focus on the thick wool rug that cushioned his fall from grace just now, "You can choose to be with him. A relationship with your fated mate would break your obligation to me."

If the air hadn't left her lungs and stayed away so long, she would have been quicker with her reply. As it was, his suggestion remained unanswered longer than it should have been.

"Are you saying I should mate someone who has attacked several she-wolves? Leave you for a violent stranger with which I may never be safe?"

Fingers splayed, and his hands pressed towards her, rotating as if warning her the road she's on has been washed out. "There's a chance that he's not that individual. We haven't identified him yet...."

"You didn't see Ava's reaction to him!" She exploded. Little did she know that she would be the hot head in a conversation that started off with a confession of finding her mate.

"I..." He paused, searching, struggling. "I can not be trusted with giving you sound advice regarding your... mate." The last word was somehow pronounced through a clenched jaw with no help of a gap between teeth to let the sound travel through.

"Did Kasey ever forgive you for rejecting Monique?"

Sloppily adjusting his posture, he straightened his spine to see her better. The seat he was supposed to have landed on acted as a backrest instead.

"I don't think it's forgiveness, more like acceptance."

A whining started in her head, followed by a sorrowful howl. The roommate in her soul was anxious and jittery.