Chapter 22

Peaceful silence filled her ears. Maybe not absolute quiet, but missing the rumble of tires rolling down the highway as they had been for the last four hours. Other noises started filtering in. Birds chirping, kids screaming, backs cracking.

"Alpha Dominic." A team of three had been waiting for them and stepped forward. "May I escort you to your suites while we get your bags? Your staff will be escorted as soon as they are ready."

A collection of wolves of all ranks were extracting themselves from vehicles. Beta William and his team, Peter and his mate, four of the E6, and Lynsie's younger sister, Ava. At twelve years old, she was approaching her full height and was dropping all her childhood baby fat. A lean figure with hair about the same shade as Sophia, as poised and calm as she appeared, there was a storm under the surface.

Determined to give her a chance to break out of the cycle that sucked her older sister in, she was given this opportunity to travel, understanding that she would tend to Sophia should she need it. There would be a lot of sitting around and waiting beforehand, and the young she-wolf's company was welcome. If Sophia does go into heat, it would be best to be tended to by someone Dominic doesn't find threatening. More importantly, it was a chance to introduce her to a different society than what was available back home.

Chocolate eyes danced over the façade of the impressive structure in front of them, from the large windows to the gargoyles and chimeras. A fountain off to the side provided a soothing water effect that could finally be heard now that her ears were clearing out.

"Impressive, huh?" The breeder broke through the young female's amazement.

"Yes, how does this place stay standing? It's so big."

"Sounds like you are interested in architecture. Maybe we can take a tour later." A green eye winked at her before falling in line with Dominic. The instructions were to stay close to him when out, keep eyes lowered, avoid other lycans, alphas, and males in that order of priority.

Centered on his right arm and no more than two steps behind, there would be no mistaking a strong connection to him. However, as a backup, she wore the custom-made servant's blouse that showed off her figure and marking. Instead of long skirts, she wore jeans. Not a servant, but on his staff. Unmated, but claimed.

Ascending the steps up to a set of the largest doors she's ever seen, they opened on their own accord in front of them. Oh, nope. There are two people handling each one. This can't be how people regularly get into and out of this building.

Her and her alpha's footsteps echoed across the marble tile floors, off the marble pillars, and over any flat marble surface. This place must weigh a ton. Bypassing the curved stairs that seemed to terminate at the second floor only, they ran into a familiar party.

"Alpha Dominic, so glad to have you." A voice that had once made her a generous offer to be his mate greeted him. "And Sophia, it's always a pleasure to see you."

She imagined that it was much to his chagrin that she kept her eyes lowered and acknowledged his warm greeting with a nod and a smile. There will be no entertaining his offer while she is here.

"Thank you, Sir Lucas. I see you have remodeled since I was here last. It's quite impressive." Dominic returned the pleasantries.

"Yes, well, I found the opportunity to show off with this event was too much of a temptation to pass up. Besides, the last style was, well, masculine. Not very welcoming for a female."

"Animal heads mounted to the walls tend to not impress the other sex as much as our own."

"Agreed. It looks like you are on your way to your room. I shan't impede you." A sweep to the side left their path to the elevators clear.