Chapter Five

"Gryffindor!" The hat finally calls out. The hat spent over five minutes searching through my memories, trying to decide where to put me. I breathe in before walking over to said house's table. Many Gryffindor students dressed in red and gold are either clapping politely for me or laughing and joking around. It will take me a while to get used to them. The Slytherin or Ravenclaw look more my speed but I guess I'll have do deal with this for now. At least they don't look overly-cocky or snobby.

I also notice who I assume to be the Durmstrang students sitting at the table, looking a tad bit more calm and serious so I decide to sit near them. I take a seat next to a tall and bored looking guy with short hair and a slight scowl on his face. He lets a small smile show when I sit down though, and he holds out his hand for me to shake. I oblige.

"Victor Krum." He says and I nod.

"You don't know who I am, do you?" He asks with raised eyebrows. He doesn't sound angry though, only slightly amused. I cough.

"Sorry, I come from America. Should I?" I ask back and he chuckles.

"I'm a professional quidditch player, but I don't mind that you haven't heard of me, I'm actually quite glad! All of these googly eyes have started to make me uncomfortable." He says, glancing around. I let out a laugh which surprises me, I haven't laughed in a while...

"Yeah, well I sort if know how you feel." I say. "My school is more of a camp and half of our focus is on magic, the other is on combat and using weapons like bows, swords, spears and daggers." Victor raises his eyebrows at this and I grin at him. "That's pretty cool!" He admits and my smile widens. "Yeah, it is. Anyways, only after my cousin Percy, I am the second best swordsman at the camp. We stay in cabins based on the type of magic we use. Percy's is water and storms and mine is more of shadows and darkness. You get this symbol above your head saying what magic you are "destined to master" and you go to that cabin." Victor nods after I finish explaining. "It's weird, but cool." He says. "So how does this have to do with knowing how I feel?" He asks and I start talking again.

"My magic style, the dark style is very rare at my camp. The only other people who are in my cabin is my half-sister and this guy who used to come every summer who was way older than us. He'd come to help but uh" my voice cracked. "He went missing this summer. His name was Severus." I pause and sigh sadly. I will NOT cry. "He was like the older brother I never had so I'm not taking his disappearance very well." I say truthfully and Victor looks at me with confusion, then his eyes wander to somewhere else in the room and he frowns.

"Nico?" He asks, not taking his eyes off of whatever he's looking at. "Does he have longish, black hair?"

"Yeah." I slouch in my seat.

"And a constant frown on his face?" He asks, now looking at me.

"Yeah, why?" I ask, I have never been more confused. How does Viktor know about my brother?

"That ah- that wouldn't happen to be him would it?" He asks me and I turn my head to look where he seems to be looking. They go to the teacher's table and I immediately meet another pair of dark eyes, staring back intently at me. My eyes widen and my mouth drops open. I will NOT cry. I will not cry. But despite my efforts, a single tear rolls down my cheek and I wipe it away desperately. I look down at my lap, in a trance.

"Oh my gods." I whisper.

Chapter Five book talk-

If you had been in Nico's position, how would you have reacted to seeing Severus?

How do you think Nico and Krum's relationship will progress?

What other house could Nico have been placed in, and why?