Chapter Nineteen

I know that something bad is going to happen the moment a red spell explodes in the sky. The crowd gasps in awe and surprise at the loud noise. It is the signal that someone either needs rescuing or decided to quit the challenge. I think about who might have cast the spell.

Viktor? Was the strong and smart champion somehow defeated? I try to imagine something outwitting him and wiping him out... And I can't. No it can't be Viktor, he wouldn't be the first one out.

It could be Fleur, she and Harry aren't as calm and quick under pressure as Viktor or Cedric. I'm not trying to insult my friend, she's brilliant and every bit as worthy to be a champion as the others. But she can get stressed out easily. I hope that's not the case.

It's possible that it was Harry, but I've learned not to underestimate my friend. The moment you get too cocky is the moment you lose against him. He's managed to pull through every other challenge so far, and I doubt he wants to quit now. I'll just have to believe that he's doing okay.

I keep having flashbacks of the labyrinth and I don't know why. The obvious guess would be that the maze reminds me of it, and while I'm positive that that is a factor, this feels strange, almost as if something or someone is forcing these thoughts into my head, making me remember every detail. The presence almost feels familiar. And honestly it scares me. I've never had to deal with something like this, and I don't even know what it is. I put my head in my hands for a minute, trying to clear my mind. It seems to work a little and I join in on Hermione and Ron's argument about which of them is stronger. Except for I, obviously, vote for myself. What? You can't really blame me, can you? Hermione rolls her eyes at Ron and I laugh. Suddenly all sound around me seems to fade and I sense an incredibly strong aura of death: it's that horcrux feeling again, I know for a fact that whoever is doing this is the same person from my dream. And that's when I hear it, the voice. It almost sounds like a snake and it makes me wince and cover my ears.

"I've returned." It whispers. "And I know who you are, half-blood."

I open my mouth in a silent scream, a feeling of terror and fear like no other is overwhelming my thoughts and senses. I sink down on the bleachers and cover my face with my hands, trying desperately to get the thing out of my head. I feel someone shaking me, and I bolt up, breathing heavily, my eyes wide. Hermione has her hands on my shoulders and Ron is standing on my other side, staring at me with shock written on his face.

"Nico, Nico! Come on, say something! Why is this happening again?" Hermione says worriedly and I can't help but wonder what she would think if she knew what I was seeing and hearing inside my head. I take a few deep breaths and try to calm myself down.

"I... I'm alright. J-just a head ache. I promise." I stutter and Hermione glares at me.

"No it's obviously not a head ache, you're not alright! Tell me what's going on, Nico we're worried about you!" She exclaims and Ron nods in agreement.

"She's right, mate. This is twice in one hour. I'm pretty sure this isn't normal." He says nervously and Hermione sighs. She looks at me with pleading eyes, begging me to tell her something, anything about what's really going on. And I realize that I have so many friends, people I can trust here. Hermione is smart, she can help me figure out what is happening, if I tell them who I really am... For a moment, I really do consider telling them. But then I snap out of my stupidity and shake my head. No. I can't drag them into my demigod life, it's too dangerous. I won't let anyone else I love get hurt for me. Never again.

"Really. I know this looks bad, I'm actually pretty sick right now. I swear I'll go to the infirmary after this challenge is over, deal?" I offer, and Hermione stares at me intently for a minute. It reminds me of how Annabeth stares at people when she is trying to figure out the best way to take them down in a fight. Finally she sighs and speaks up. "Fine. But I'm going with you just to make sure you actually go. I know you well enough to tell that you were lying, Nico." She says with a huff and my eyes widen before a smile spreads across my lips.