Chapter Sixteen

The book will end up being twenty chapters in total. How long will you guys be able to wait until book two? Let me know in the comment section.

It's the twenty-fourth of February, the day of the second task. Harry and I did as much preparing as we could... which once again wasn't much at all. The good thing is that Harry has this herb thing called "gillyweed" that Neville gave him and it will supposedly allow Harry to breathe underwater. I should ask Neville for some of that stuff and use it in front of Percy! I think and smile. I can't help but imagine how shocked Percy would be if he saw me swimming around under water, gills and all. He would probably freak out... either that or think he was hallucinating. Anyways, Harry may have passed the first challenge but so did the other three champions... and each task is supposed to be harder than the last. I honestly wish I could take Harry's place. Most of these challenges hardly require magical skills anyways, it's mostly strength and intelligence which I am good at. Now that I think about it, almost all of the demigods back at camp could have done the first task pretty easily. But these aren't demigods. I remind myself. They don't have the inhuman reflexes and combat skills that we do. They've been practicing magic all their lives, without their wands, they couldn't do much do defend themselves. That is why I'm teaching Harry how to fight. He has the same kind of aura that Percy has, stronger than the rest and always in danger. Like Percy, he always seems to be in the center of dangerous situations, based on what Ron told me about their past years at Hogwarts. He needs to know how to protect himself if his wand is ever stolen or broken. If an enemy disarms him, what will he do? How will he win?

"Ready to go?" Harry asks me, bringing me out of my thoughts. I nod and smile reassuringly at him. I know him well enough to see that he is nervous, but he's hiding it really well. It's a useful skill to have, hiding your emotions I mean. Before I made so many friends at Hogwarts I had practically been doing that for three years... not that it's a good thing.

Harry and I walk down to the black lake but for some reason Hermione and Ron aren't here. Harry told me that McGonogall called them to her office but I don't think so. A teacher wouldn't do that right before a challenge in the tournament... would they? It's probably nothing. My breath catches in my throat when the lake comes into view. It looks as gloomy and dark as ever... no offense uncle P... but three large wooden platforms are placed among the water. Each platform is made sort of like a tower, with a base level that almost meets the water's surface and four floors above it, the highest floor being the biggest. Each tower is crowded with students, teachers and some people from the ministry of magic. I can barely make out the other three champions and Dumbledore on the middle platform. I turn to Harry who is gazing out across the water with a distant look in his eyes. Taking a deep breath and pulling my jacket tighter around me, a put a hand on his shoulder and he turns to look at me, one eyebrow raised.

"You ready?" I ask.

He laughs humorlessly "No. But I wasn't ready for the last task... or any of my other adventures either. What's the worst that could happen?" He asks and with that we continue towards the murky waters.

After a truly terrifying trip across the lake and onto the middle platform, I am immediately jumped on by two people. I didn't have time to look but I know who they are. I groan grumpily and try to shake them off unsuccessfully. It doesn't help that most of the Durmstrang, Beauxbatons and Hogwarts students are staring weirdly at us.

"Guyssssss!" I whine, dragging out the Y. "So not cool." I mutter and they burst into laughter. I don't laugh with them. Thankfully they don't stay piled on top of me much longer and I jump up before they can do anything else. I finally get a look at the two of them. They are both wearing shorts and a tank top. I'm cold in my thick jacket, I can't imagine how cold they must be, especially after they come out of the water. I wish I had Will here to warm me up. He seems to radiate heat, but not like Leo. Being around Leo feels more like sitting around a comforting fire, that's why our friends at both camps like to hug him so much. Now that I think about it, that's probably why Calypso likes to cuddle with him so much. Will however, is more like the sun finally coming out on a cloudy day. Both his personality and aura are bright and warm. His smile lights up every room he enters and he leaves whoever he just talked to with a positive and relaxed attitude. Sometimes I wish I could be more like him. Fleur and Viktor don't know much about Will, only his name and that he practices healing and sun magic. Fleur has asked me about him a lot but I haven't told her much, it's too risky and they can't know who I really am. As soon as I get up Viktor surprises me and pulls me into a headlock.