Chapter Ten

Some of you may notice that I did change Cedric's personality a bit in for this part of the story but it does not effect any future events, it is just so that a certain conversation is able to happen. I would also like to say that since this is a rewrite, I will be following the plot lines from both the novel and the film. So you should be expecting a mix of the two.

I know what will happen today the moment I wake up. As I struggle with my tie, I try to think of ways to help Harry make it through the day. After finally tying it properly, I make my way down to the common room and exit the Gryffindor tower. I got up fairly early so I am one of the only ones at breakfast so far. There is a group of Ravenclaw students who are also here, but they usually get up early to practice spells or study. Around ten minutes later, the hall is about half-full when Harry walks in. Almost immediately people begin to whisper and glance in his direction. Even Victor is studying him with a calculating look on his face. He looks exactly like Annabeth does when she is trying to figure something out. Harry makes it to the table and sits down with a distant look in his emerald eyes. I can tell that he feels betrayed and upset and I suprisingly want to comfort him. But I really don't know what to say. What can I say that will help? He already knows I'm on his side, I don't really know what else to do. To make matters worse, Ron decides to enter the room which I know will put Harry in an even worse mood. I don't know why I feel the need to help him all of the time, maybe because I was simply assigned to protect him. I somehow feel that is not the only reason though. I quickly finish my food and grab Harry's wrist, pulling him up which earns us some stares. He makes no effort to get away as I drag him out of the great hall and I make sure to bump shoulders with Ron extra hard as I pass him. Yes I'll admit I did eavesdrop a bit on the two last night when Ron betrayed Harry. I was curious okay? I know I shouldn't have but it's done with now and I can't change it.

 Lessons are interesting but terribly long as always. I can make out some hushed conversation about Harry in most of my classes. It seems that no one believes it wasn't Harry's fault. They think he did it to gain more attention which is really stupid if I do say so myself! Lunch is when the real trouble starts. Harry and I are outside like everyone else. We are trying to find Cedric because last night Harry discovered that the first challenge is with dragons. I told him that Cedric doesn't deserve to know, he has been wearing those stupid "Potter stinks" badges like many other people are. We finally find him laughing obnoxiously with a small group of students. "Cedric." Says Harry seriously and they turn to us.

"Oh well look who it is!" One of the boys say.

"If it isn't the cheater himself!" Another snickers. I decide to step in, this is getting ridiculous! We came here to talk to Cedric, not hear these puny mortals' insults!

"Watch your mouth, we came to talk to Cedric now back off!" I say firmly and they all laugh. Then Cedric comes up, I think he is going to help Harry out here and defend him, but that apparently isn't the plan.

"What do you plan on doing to stop them, shadow freak?" He says cockily and I quickly think screw being nice before sending an uppercut to Cedric's face. I grab the collar of his robes and lift him up with ease.

"Never speak that way about me or my friends again." I spit at him and he weakly nods before I drop him to the floor.

"Come on Harry, we're leaving." I say firmly and he nods, still in shock from my outburst. Five minutes later we sit alone on the common room.

"Hey Nico?" Harry finally speaks and I nod for him to continue. "Thanks." He says this so sincerely I am left in shock. "Uh, no problem I guess. I absolutely hate when people make fun of others." I admit, thinking about how I used to be treated at camp. No one should have to feel that way, purposely avoiding others in fear of being picked on.

"I know we haven't really gotten to know each other yet, but I already feel like I can trust you. Friends?" Harry asks hopefully.

I smile. "Friends." I say.