30: Board Games

"Again," Jimin clenched his jaw, staring ahead with contempt. Namjoon turned to Taehyung expectantly, awaiting his report with stiff shoulders.

Taehyung was silent, gulping and looking pale.

"Taehyung?" Namjoon called out, prompting the aforementioned to blink away a daze. He nodded, looking over his shoulder at the dreaded south wall and back to Namjoon.

"Six."

Namjoon grew silent, wiping away the sweat on his forehead with the back of his hand. He massaged his temples, nodding and sighing.

"Six," he muttered, looking up with a glare at Mara, "Six," he repeated.

Mara looked down guiltily, but she didn't apologize, even though she really wanted to.

"Let's just get them down and burn them or something. They could be plagued with disease," Jimin snapped. Namjoon acquiesced, but he didn't seem too happy about it. Neither did Taehyung, but the lad had gone quiet and solemn, as if disturbed by what he'd seen.

"I don't understand how they're getting passed you like that," Namjoon chided, "Aren't you supposed to be on nightwatch?!"

Taehyung was left speechless, and he tried to conjure up words but he came up empty handed. Mara was surprised at his lack of rebuttal, and he looked to be just as surprised at himself as Mara was.

"I don't know," he ended up mumbling.

Namjoon scoffed, "I don't know."

It was disgust and perturbation that pervaded the group that day as they cut down the severed human limbs that hung from the walls of their fortress. Mara couldnt help the nausea as she aided them, refusing to let Jimin handle it on his own and subsequently giving Namjoon the benefit of saying she was of "no help."

Next day, only three, but it wasn't any easier for the group, and Mara was really starting to get antsy. Whatever kind of offering they were making in exchange for her was beginning to get on Namjoon's nerves. He said nothing in regards for the first two days, but the more it happened, the heavier the burden lay on Namjoon's shoulders.

"It's an inconvenience at the most, but it could escalate to something else. I just don't want to start anything," Namjoon stressed, sighing in frustration and receiving a squeeze on his shoulder from Jin. The two solemnly talked in the privacy of the office, having laid out the events of the passed few days, responsibilities and chores on their to-do list. Namjoon sat at his office chair while Jin leaned on the table beside him.

"I know it's difficult to keep us at peace with everyone else, but sometimes you have to draw the line somewhere," Jin advised, "And if they didn't take your threat seriously, then what else are they not afraid to do?" He suggested with concern before standing over the window, looking down at everyone as they calmly worked away.

"We wouldn't be having this problem and you know it," Namjoon pointedly looked at Jin, who looked back at him with sigh.

"It's been a problem and you know it. We would've had to deal with them sooner or later," Jin calmly negated, an exhausted look on his face, "I'd rather deal with them now."

"You think so?" Namjoon raised a brow, "Cause they've been a nuisance but they've never left heads and limbs on our doorstep."

Jin shrugged, "They're just early Christmas decorations. Nothing wrong with celebrating early."

Namjoon paused, turning away for a second as his lips twitched upwards. He then pursed them, "Not funny."

Jin quietly laughed sitting back besides Namjoon and looking down at him with a smile. The latter returned to gaze, but a frown quickly spread on his face. This caused Jin's smile to falter, and the atmosphere grew somber once more.