56: Autumn Leaf

He was a tall and thin man. He peered at Namjoon through his gold-rimmed glasses, dark brown eyes piercing. It was odd to see a man fitted in a suit, clad in polished leather oxfords, a tie and a gold watch to pair. His dark hair was styled neatly, and he was clean shaven with no sign of stubble. His presence in itself was intimidating before he even got a word out, but the smile he wore was sophisticated and polite. He seemed to like gold, for a golden revolver stuck out from under his waistband and shone glares into the faces of everyone in front of him.

He was accompanied by an entourage of five men, all surrounding him with lethal weapons, armored up like soldiers, some with their back turned and others focused on the man they guarded. They had arrived on a sleek black carriage, the guards spilling out first before the main man made his appearance.

Mara would not have guessed that Hoseok's brother looked so similar to him, just slightly taller and a bit paler. His authoritative aura was a bit daunting, but Mara guessed that to be the leader of a large community, you kind've had to be.

"I assume you are the leader here?" Hyunjae spoke, confidence pouring from his airy voice. He spoke directly to Namjoon, extending his hand for a shake. Namjoon glanced at his hand, reaching his own out to Hyunjae.

"Correct," Namjoon replied.

"My intuition never fails me. I know a sovereign man when I see him," Hyunjae nodded.

Though he himself was held at such high regard, he did not fail to show respect to everyone. He shook each and every new hand, coming down to Mara with eyes that crinkled warmly.

"Lovely to meet you," he softly greeted, "I hope these men are taking care of you," he gave Hoseok a pointed look, to which the latter rolled his eyes.

Mara shyly nodded, gently clasping his hand and shaking it lightly.

"You have a very promising camp. Proud that you help built this, brother," Hyunjae nodded to his sibling, who had no reaction whatsoever to his praise. The man did not falter to Hoseok's disregard, and the latter received a couple of glances from some of his friends.

Hyunjae stood before all six, with Jin missing after helping Sam bathe and get dressed in cleaner, presentable clothes. It was not in response to Hyunjae's arrival, rather it was Jin's request.

Hyunjae's expression turned dismal, the light in his eyes dimming, "Where is Sam?"

"I'm not letting you go in dirty clothes and a bloody face," Jin lead Sam inside and into the infirmary bathroom, letting him sit on the toilet while Jin fetched warm water and clean clothes. When he did come back, he carried a bucket with the water and neatly folded pants and a t-shirt. Sam was speechless, growing teary eyed.

"You don't have to do this. It would be a waste," Sam stammered. Jin offered a kind smile, his eyes crinkling warmly.

"Nonsense. We can always get more water, and clothes are everywhere. Don't worry," Jin reassured.

When Sam came out of the shower, his smile was timid but grateful. His eyes were bright and he looked a lot more comfortable than he did before. He stepped out of the bathroom and into the infirmary in white pajama bottoms and a white t-shirt. On the bed waiting for him was Jin, beside him Sam's white pair of Chuck Taylors that Jin had attempted to scrub clean.

Sam's smile faltered when he saw this.

"I figured I could scrub them a bit so they look nice too," Jin held them up and scanned them with furrowed brows, "They're still a bit stained but they look okay."

"Thank you," Sam whispered, "I feel a lot better."

"No need to thank me," Jin gestured for him to sit down next to him, revealing the roll of gauze in his other hand, "I figured we could wrap that bite up so you don't have to look at it constantly."