58: Envy?

"Be careful."

"Yes ma'am," a guard replied, heeding to Haneul's request as he and another guard loaded Sam's body onto the backseat of the coach's cab. He had been delicately wrapped in his white duvet, a rope around his shoulders and legs. A handpicked bouquet of wild flowers was tucked under a strand, courtesy of Mara. Haneul stared at the flowers, her eyes glossing over once more. She cradled herself and pursed her lips to keep herself from crying, stepping away from the wagon and sitting back on the porch, where Sam had originally been laid. She could see a dark stain on the wood boards but she avoided it and tried not to look at it for too long. The sun had set already, and stars littered the night sky like spilt glitter. It was a slightly cold night, and the girl rubbed her arms to keep herself warm against the gusts of wind that swept by.

The screen door behind Haneul creaked open, gently closing behind light footsteps that made their way to her. Presented before the girl was a thick sweater, held up by an awkwardly fidgeting Mara. The two girls locked eyes for a second before Haneul took the sweater and slowly pulled it over her head. Mara stepped back, unsure if to stay or let her have some alone time.

"I'll give you some alone time," Mara softly muttered, about to walk back until her name was called out.

"Mara, wait..."

Said girl slowly turned, silently waiting. Haneul didn't seem to even know what she wanted to say, or even why she had called out again. Maybe it was the overwhelming events of the day or the fact that out of everyone who was there to witness her breakdown, only one had come her aid, and it was the last person she expected.

"Can you keep me company?" Haneul plead, sounding dejected. Mara did not hesitate to return to her side, sitting next to her on the porch with a small smile and a nod to reassure her. She did not pass judgement, or even question her. She was fully aware that Haneul needed some kind of comfort after losing her only brother, and with the exception of Hyunjae—whom still was not family—she was essentially all alone. There was that reminder again that Mara and Haneul weren't too different after all. At least after that day.

Speaking of, Hyunjae had disappeared somewhere inside the lodge. Mara saw him asking Namjoon for Hoseok's whereabouts, so she guessed he had gone off to speak to his brother. Maybe finally the two brothers would make amends after years of distance.

Mara noticed Haneul struggle to keep her hair out of her face, the gusts of wind simply disheveling into her face. She glanced at the hair tie around her wrist and pulled it off, passing it to her without a second thought. Haneul gratefully took it, tying her hair into a ponytail before cradling herself again. The silence between them did not last long, not like Mara thought it would.

"I'm so sorry about everything," Haneul softly spoke, "You deserve to hate me, and to not forgive me. I think that's the least you are entitled to after what I've put you through," she turned to Mara, eyes brimming with desolation and burdened with suffering, "Now more than ever I wish you well, because now I know what it's like to lose your entire family."

Mara reached her hand out, taking Haneul's in her own and holding it tightly, "I forgive you. I really do. And you're not alone. Regardless of what happened, you can count on me, and most importantly on Hyunjae. He might seem a bit cold right now but he's hurting too. He promised Sam he would take care of you and I believe he's a man of his word," Mara reassured her, "If you ever need to talk, I'm a call away."

Haneul's lips trembled but she smiled through it, "Thank you," she said, "And I mean it." She sighed, shaking her head with a quivering laugh and peering at the sky in disbelief.

"I just can't believe...I didn't even get to say goodbye to him."

When Haneul looked at Mara again, she looked to be on the brink of a breakdown, "And you know what my last words to him were?"