60 PT.1: Stranded

O n e W e e k L a t e r

Namjoon sat at his post. His eyes scanned the trees below unscrupulously, with no real thought. The night was especially dark as another storm settled over the forest for a couple days in a row. Even the moon and stars hid behind heavy grey blankets. It was rainy season after all, and the onslaught of rain would quench the thirst of dry soil and parched mouths.

The wind whistled loudly, prompting the trees into a dance and encouraging their leaves to sing along. The forest, in all its ominous glory, knew how to calm all of the turmoil currently swirling in Namjoon's mind.

He glanced at the walkie.

He'd just radioed in a little while ago but in that while something could've happened and I would never know If I didn't-

Calm down, Namjoon. He's fine. I'm just...worrying over nothing.

Namjoon sighed, standing the walkie back on the table after subconsciously grabbing it. He crossed his arms, trying to relax into his night shift. The sun was far from rising, so he melted into the chair and focused back on the forest.

"And you know it's funny because you remind me of my little sister."

Mara flipped over restlessly in bed, the groan in protest from beside her causing her to wince guiltily. Jungkook shifted in his sleep but settled back in comfortably in Mara's arms, unaware that his lover lay awake with thoughts so loud that they disturbed her sleep. The talk she had with Namjoon a week prior had awakened curiosity in her. There really was a lot to Namjoon that she didn't know about. Maybe everyone else knew, but to her, Namjoon was a complete and utter mystery. Despite that, she was extremely proud of the progress he was making with everyone. It would take time to restore their relationships with each other but it would be an effort worthwhile.

Mara remembered that Jimin was on night-watch duty that night, so she slowly slithered out of bed, not before leaving a feathery kiss on Jungkook's forehead, and left her room. She figured if she couldn't sleep, she could at least entertain herself by talking to her friend. The moon illuminated the staircase, making it easy for her eyes to adjust to low lighting and facilitating her descent. The girl snuck out of the lodge with her slippers on and headed to the north tower, vaguely remembering Jimin walking up it when it was time for bed. She marveled at the sky on the way there, never quite getting used to the view free of pollution.

She climbed up the stairs, flashbacks of the demolished tower making her want to laugh. She held back as she reached the top, looking out into the dark forest as far as the eye could see. It was hauntingly beautiful, warding you off as much as it beckoned you in.

She could hear low muttering from inside and the faint sound of static. She stepped forward, the sudden creak from under her causing the voice to go silent. She didn't want to scare anyone and cause an accident so she gently knocked on the door, calling out gently.

"Hey, Jimin. It's me, Mara."

Upon opening the door, the tall and tense figure right away gave the impression that it was not Jimin.

Unless he had a spontaneous, unforeseen growth spurt.

Namjoon stared down at Mara with an unimpressed brow raise. He looked calm and without the annoyance that Mara once used to receive when looked down at by the leader. She could've easily overlooked it, but the change was not insignificant.