37: Fog

(A/N: TW for this chapter)

—-

"Keep her steady-"

"Don't move the reign-"

"God dammit!"

"Shit!" Mara yelped as she was thrown off the horse, falling with a loud thump to the ground. The snow did not cushion her fall, nor did the three idiots standing idly beside her. They watched with amusement as Mara struggled to keep the horses steady yet failed miserably just as Namjoon approached their back sides. She was continually launched off of the horse, falling without any drop of grace only to get back up and try again.

"Why am I on the horse again?!" Mara exclaimed, propping herself up only to glare at Namjoon. The latter tried to hide a smile, turning his back to her to fix the wagon back onto the horse.

Mara's face fell, and she got up from the ground, giving everyone a nasty glare.

"Can't handle a little horse-" Taehyung snorted.

"Something so easy to do and she can't do it," Hoseok shook his head, tone derisive as he approached to aid Namjoon. Instead of saying anything, Mara raised her middle fingers, showcasing the birdie to all four—even Jimin. Jimin pursed his lips in disapproval, crossing his arms and giving Mara an unimpressed look.

Mara shrugged unapologetically, "For you too." Mara brushed off the flakes of snow, sparing none of them a last word as she walked off, muttering obscenities under her breath.

The wagon trials had begun, and with it came Namjoon's attempts to build and customize the wagon he had created. After the truck his group used to ride was rendered useless, Namjoon decided to take it apart and repurpose it's parts. The cargo bed had been customized and sized down into a manageable wagon. Mara saw his vision, and she couldn't have thought of something better herself. It had taken him days for his vision to come to life, but with the help of other willing members, he was able to start his project. The only thing he hadn't figured out was how to attach the wagon to the horses, which he had asked Mara to help out with.

It took her longer than she would've liked to realize that Namjoon had only asked for her help to make a fool out of her. She didn't take too kindly to that. She had been hoping he would take her seriously and give her an actual task, but he seemed to patronize her more often than not. Some other men did not help put an end to it, only standing by to provoke her even further.

"She can't take a joke," Taehyung turned to Jimin, chuckling when he received a roll of the eyes from the other.

"It's like you guys are children," Jimin muttered, pinching the bridge of his nose.

Mara held Millie, the chicken, in her arms, carrying the bird with her as she visited Jungkook at the stables. With a red nose and tinted cheeks, she approached with a pout and prodded Jungkook's shoulder.

He turned to her, eyeing the chicken, "Yeah?"

"I'm going to go crazy here," Mara cried out, holding the hen up to Jungkook, "I hold the chickens for comfort and try to remain sane while I'm at it."

Jungkook's lips spread into a grin, a hearty laugh coming from him. His eyes crinkled in delight, and he gently pet the chicken with adoration. He sighed as he moved on to pet Mara's head, a small smile on his face as he tried to console an annoyed Mara. The girl held the chicken back onto her chest, surprisingly placated by his gesture.