44: Men at Work

"I think it would be best if you stay here."

Mara kept a straight face as Namjoon spoke to her despite her desire to frown. She simply stepped back and took her place beside Jin, his sympathetic smile making her feel slightly better. Of course she wasn't happy to be left behind when all she wanted to do was help, especially with such an ambitious and onerous task. She had the strength and willpower, but her strength could not compare to that of the other men; it was a bitter reality, one she was willing to accept. Mara still had a lot to learn. Of course, she'd made it her mission to grow stronger every passing day, but there were some things she still had to overcome, some things that were out of her capabilities.

"I don't say this to be oppressive in any way," Namjoon reassured, "I think us men have responsibilities," he cleared his throat, growing awkward, "And I trust you'll keep a good eye on things back here."

Though internally taken aback, Mara wondered why it had taken him so long to be a man, as he had mentioned. Why, after so long of making her miserable could he finally say that she was good to keep around, to keep an eye on the place they called home? It was strange, but nonetheless she was grateful for his acknowledgment. She appreciated him saying it with everyone present, regardless of how out of his comfort zone it was.

"Jungkook," Namjoon turned to the boy, "Give her your walkie. I'd like to keep in touch while we're away. I'm not sure how long they'll want us out there with them."

Jungkook stretched the walkie out to her, a small smile on his face as Mara took it from him. She'd never had the radio in her possession, for only her to use. She was being given so many responsibilities lately that it was hard to react to each one. As trivial as they were, as much as Mara wanted to pretend it meant nothing to her, it was heart warming to finally be fully integrated as one of them. Many issues had yet to be resolved, and conversations were not being had in regards to the issue that still bothered Mara, but little by little, things were moving forward. However, a part of Mara was still on edge, waiting for things to regress and for them to go back to square one.

Mara stared at the walkie, focusing her vision back and realizing Jungkook still stood just a foot away. The hand that gripped the radio was enveloped by Jungkook's, and he nonchalantly taught her how to use it. Mara drew back timidly, nodding with reddened cheeks and a pout that did not go unnoticed. Jungkook chuckled, stepping back onto the wagon.

"Right. Don't wait up for us. Expect us to be gone for a day or two," Namjoon sighed, "We'll let you know."

"Don't overwork yourselves," Jin softly warned, "You have a habit of doing that."

Namjoon lightly chuckled, nodding, "We'll try. You guys stay safe."

Mara pursed her lips, wishing that Jungkook would come back so she could hug him and say goodbye. She looked up, meeting his gaze. She couldn't hide the concern in her eyes, even when she looked at Jimin, who gently smiled back at her.

God, I miss Jimin.

The two of them, as close as they'd gotten, had a very odd habit of avoiding each other when things went wrong. At any disagreement or turning point, the both of them seemed to distance themselves from each other in an attempt to keep their friendship from falling apart. Maybe it was a good thing, to take a step back and evaluate the situation, only to come back when both were in a better mood to tackle the issue. Or maybe it was a bad thing, and to be in a loop where you weren't sure who would approach who first, of who would take accountability first, was not ideal. She wondered if eventually they'd fade into nothing, having resolved nothing and ending their friendship without having said anything. It was the complete with Jungkook, who refused to avoid her even when situation was critical. It reassured Mara to know Jungkook would not easily give up.