5 || Ride

Louis slipped inside his room to get a fresh set of clothes. He could feel the afternoon sun beginning its scorching assault on his skin, and if he didn't get that cold shower, he was going to suffer inside and out. Just as he was about to pull the door open to head for the common bathrooms, a rather impatient Liam had beat him to it, blocking his way. The taller man did not look happy.

"Ah, is this about Faith?" Louis asked with a grin, trying to make light of the situation. He was a breath away from fidgeting because of his friend's accusing glare.

"Yes, technically, your faith-"

"Well, she's not mine yet-"

"LOUIS, you cheeky arse!" Liam hissed, his chubby face all plump and red like he was about to explode. His eyes widened in confusion, and he was almost hyperventilating. "What in the name of all things wrong are you doing!? You made me lie, for crying out loud!" He began to sputter so many things all at the same time - there was even a little Latin in there, and then a very frustrated, "Diyos ko po!"

"Hey, you're using His name in vain!" Louis countered quickly just so they were even. That was the expression for 'Oh My God' in Filipino, and with the way Liam's English accent had bent to accommodate the phrase, Louis snickered.

"Are you messing with me right now!?"

"YES!"

"I can't believe-" Liam's rambling came to a pause when he realised his friend was egging him on. Narrowing his eyes at Louis, he huffed. "Please don't tell me you're giving up on being a priest because of a girl you just met?"

Louis yawned, dragged a stool beside his bed and slumped on it. I need a siesta, he thought. "I'm not quitting, alright? Not that I answer to you, Father Louis." Liam's face reddened again, but he was quick to wave it off. "I apologize for making you lie. I mean, you didn't have a gun pointed at your head when..." Liam was so easy to annoy because he was clearly fuming, and it amused Louis to no end. "Let's just call her my 'final test'. I remember Father Gregory telling me that this was actually a common roadblock for most wannabe priests like us."

"Well, if she's a roadblock, you're supposed to go around her, not flirt with her!"

"Relax! Nothing bad is going to happen."

Liam was visibly appalled, his face twisted in disbelief and disappointment. "I bet that's what you told yourself when you met her!"

"You bet? We aren't allowed to gamble, Father L-"

"You basically eradicated me from existence by pretending to be you! What has gotten into you, Louis? Is it the mountain air, the heat, perhaps?"

"Fine. I'll stay away from her," said Louis, sounding very much like a menacing boy who half-heartedly tried to appease his parent because he was caught in the act. Obviously, he couldn't tell Liam she was going to live in Rehoboth for a while. Besides, usual volunteers lasted a week - max. They couldn't live without wifi or the lack of air-conditioned rooms during the day.

"I don't care if you stay away from her or not, Louis," Liam sighed. "I'm worried about you. I guess... I was hoping that both of us would be ordained together and... well..."

"Hey, stop over-thinking this!" Louis exclaimed, trying his best to downplay his attraction towards her. Besides, what if they were making a big deal out this? "I guess it's the place. Not that this is a romantic destination, but... It's been a while since I've been alone, you know? I guess it is getting to me." It wasn't like it was the norm to meet bewitching women in magical forests in Doncaster..

"I'm sorry for being so dramatic. It's not just your priesthood that's on the line here. I just don't... I have this feeling about her. Or maybe I just don't trust her yet? I don't know, mate. Maybe I don't want you to get hurt either." Liam's usually joyful countenance dimmed, and he knew why. It was probably because of Sophia, his childhood sweetheart, and what could have been if only the circumstances were different.