23 || Desperation

"Not that I'm complaining, but you're becoming a fixture in the orphanage, Niall."

"I might move in soon enough," Niall said, winking at Faith. He laughed when she rolled her eyes. "How could I say no to Louis' invite? This is the beach!" He then turned around and ran towards the kids who were playing with the sand, screaming, "THE NIALL SEA MONSTER IS HERE!!!" The children giggled and squealed as they ran away from him. "RAAAWWWRR!!!" 

As the rest of the adults began to warn the kids to stay by the shoreline, Louis handed Faith a pink floatie. "Here. You might need that." He was honestly relieved that both Faith and Manang Mila had agreed to on going to the beach today, and it was a sure sign that they've already buried the hatchet. The women in charge were more than willing to take the time off the orphanage to relax and rewind, and everyone was eager to indulge.

"I actually need this. I'm not much of a swimmer," she admitted, taking the floatie from him. "I'm glad you asked Niall to join us. The kids love him." She pointed to where the tall blonde was, seemingly shimmering in the daylight as the sun baked his skin, in the process of scaring the already laughing/screaming kids. "I sure hope you gave him sunblock."

Laughing, Louis nodded. "Good call! NIALL! PUT ON SUNBLOCK, YOU LOOSAH!"

Niall waved him off and resumed a splashing game with the older kids who can swim in the deeper waters.

Faith giggled. "Poor guy. He will suffer later." She frowned then. "He heals fast for someone who was 'dying' yesterday."

It's been a while since they've had a moment alone, and Louis was glad to be spending this little time they had together with smiles on their faces. It helped that she was in this super cute one piece swimsuit. It was very modest though - perhaps someone had just lent it to her because she didn't bring one herself. She could have been wearing anything and he knew he'd find her cute. Gah. Stupid crush. "He's this superhuman--"

"Who's that albino by the beach?"

Both of them turned to Zayn, who came in the from the parking lot smelling like he just smoked a pack or two. He took one of the sodas on the picnic table and drank straight from the bottle.

The smile on Faith's face turned sour. "I told you that you can stay back in Rehoboth." She smirked. "No. I actually told you to stay away. For good."

Zayn yawned. "Is that him? Is that the guy you replaced me with?" He huffed. "I can take him."

"That's my friend you're talking about there, mate," Louis said, interrupting him. He was more than tempted to react with a lot worse than 'I can take him' threats, but he steeled himself. Never mind the fact that Zayn didn't know said person was standing right in front of him.

"I know your type. I know you like white boys," Zayn remarked bitterly, completely ignoring Louis and his comment. 

"He's my friend too, Louis," Faith said. Glaring at her ex, she handed him a plastic bag of coal. "I suggest you get the barbecue started."

Zayn grimaced. "Why do I have to do it?"

"Because you've been a very bad boy and you deserve 100 sacks of coal for Christmas."

Louis had to turn away in fear of bursting into laughter.

"Are you going to punish me then?" Zayn whispered. "Should I bring out the handcuffs and whips? I brought them with me..."

Louis wanted to return to the kids, simply to avoid wherever this conversation was going, but he didn't want to leave her alone with him -- not that she needed him defending her. It was more for his sake than her's, he supposed. Pretending to fix the food on the table, he ignored the uneasy feeling in his gut and poured himself a glass of soda.