16 || Run

Even though Niall Horan didn't spend the entire night with them, Louis and Faith's attempts to spend time alone were always cut short due to people talking to Faith. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em, Louis thought, and he eventually mingled with other people, taking advantage of the fluent English speakers in the party. It was comforting that he didn't have to slow down his speech or tone down his accent when he conversed with them, so it made talking about Rehoboth 10x easier than he would have imagined it to be. 

And as the night dragged on and came to an end, Louis offered Faith his arm as they walked outside the Mayor's house, but to their surprise, the host himself called their attention. 

"Faith," the Mayor said. "Don't forget to visit when you have the time, alright? Samuel told me he was more than pleased to meet his kababata again." 

Samuel?  Louis glanced at Faith quickly, who was clearly trying to be polite, but obviously itching to leave the party. She didn't react to what the Mayor said, just nodded and said goodnight. Louis, on the other hand, took a while to notice that the Mayor was actually talking to him. He might have indulged the champagne a bit. 

"It was great meeting you, Louis -- or should I say, 'Father Louis'?" the Mayor said with a jolly smile, his cheeks red, also having had a little too much to drink. "I hope you don't mind if Niall drops by the orphanage. He needs a friend right now." 

"Of course, sir--I mean, Mayor sir," Louis replied in the same manner again, and he heard Faith giggle breathlessly beside him. "Thank you for having us tonight."

The Mayor opened the car door for them and he signalled for Louis to ride in first, and out of obedience, he quickly slipped inside and waited for Faith. Before she sat inside the car, however, the Mayor called her name once again. "Faith," he spoke slowly, "Remember what we talked about."

With a nod from Faith, she  took her place beside Louis and the Mayor closed the door. Once Faith had settled in her seat, she exhaled as she slipped her feet off her heels. "So glad that's over," she groaned.

"What does kababata mean?" Louis asked quickly, turning to her. It had been a long night, but he didn't feel it at all. His mind was reeling with unanswered questions. First, who was this Samuel bloke?

Faith sighed. "He's the Mayor's biological son. Kababata means childhood friend." She reached to free her hair from its ponytail. The waves fell on her shoulders, giving Louis a whiff of her sweet shampoo. "He isn't though -- my friend, I mean. We met, like, twice."

"Oh, from his first marriage then?"

"Yup."

"What did the Mayor mean? About what you guys talked about?"

Faith glanced at him and smiled. "What's with the 20 questions, Father Louis?" She yawned, and snorted when he rolled his eyes at his nickname. "I'm so sleepy. And my feet are killing me." She was about to lean her head against his shoulder, but stopped herself when she realised he was still staring at her, waiting for an answer. Sitting up straight, she looked outside the window. "He's proposing to buy the orphanage."

"And?"

"And I said I'd think about it."

Louis felt his stomach twist uncomfortably. His hands felt cold. He felt anger in his gut, and he wasn't sure if it was directed at the Mayor or Faith. "You what?"

Faith looked at him, her face blank. "What?"

"You'd 'think about it'? Why would you need to think about it?"

"Why not? It's not like he's going to evict all the residents--" Faith stopped talking and crossed her arms on her chest. "What, you think I'm heartless now, is that it?"