18 || Agendas

Rehoboth was quiet, all its residents deep in sleep except for one.

Louis Tomlinson was just fresh from the shower after all his duties, and he was more than ready to fall asleep if it he wasn't waiting for a certain someone to return from her date. It wasn't that he wanted to find out the details of their date though - it was past midnight, and didn't she know that nothing good ever happens after 12? Besides, she was putting herself and the orphanage residents at risk. He couldn't possibly leave her out there in the dark, could he?

Instead of feeling irritated that she wasn't still home, Louis thought about his new friend. Niall Horan had left an hour before dinner, not wanting to impose on food -- although Louis could tell that he was the type who liked to eat a LOT (he did consume all the remaining espasol when he wasn't looking). He didn't want to force the young man to stay, so in time, he figured, Niall would return and maybe, stay longer.

Niall was great with the kids -- albeit a little awkward, but you could tell that he wanted to reach out even if he found it hard to understand them. But that's what was great with children - sometimes, all you had to do was let your heart do the talking and soon enough, you'll find a bond like no other. And he can tell that Niall had a great heart. The Mayor was right; maybe Niall needed the orphanage to soothe his soul.

Remembering The Mayor, Louis felt like he was a good man. He might have done some minor research on the man, and so far, all the results have been good. He had been sitting in power for years, and the people loved him. He was generous as he was kind, too. The only stain in his good record was getting divorced from his first wife abroad.

Divorce wasn't legalised in the Philippines, so you can say that the local parish wasn't pleased with that decision, just like they weren't pleased when he remarried a foreigner. Rumour has it that his son Samuel would succeed him in the future, and Louis hoped it wouldn't happen. From what he heard, the Mayor's ex-wife was going to run for office against him. Was Philippine politics really this dramatic? It was stuff found in soap operas, that's for sure.

Should I call for the barangay officer to send out a search party for Faith? Louis couldn't help but laugh. Faith would hate him if he did that, making a scene for her sake. And he knew she was fine - and true enough, when she arrived in a tricycle half an hour later, he finally exhaled.

Where was the fancy car that picked her up this morning? When he faced her, it seemed she was actually surprised to see him there and that bothered him. Did Faith really think no one would bother to make sure she was alright, if she got home safe?

"Faith, you're past your curfew," Louis announced seriously and she responded with a tired laugh. No snappy return? He noticed she looked shaken. "How are you? Are you okay?"

Faith was obviously trying to find the right words as Louis closed up the gate. "Ah... Let's just say that I might get sued for physical assault."

Louis almost dropped the padlock he was currently trying to close as he gaped at her. "What?!"

Faith sighed and leaned against the gate. "The self-entitled son of a bitch expected sex for some reason." She rolled her eyes. "Anyway, I got what I wanted, and that's an issue for another time."

"What did you do?" Louis couldn't help the smile that broke his face. He was trying to be serious, but he was more than glad that she had defended herself. "Please tell me you kicked him in the nuts?"

"Oh god!" Faith covered her mouth in laughter, but she shook her head. She showed him her sore fist. "I just introduced him to Betsy and the 5 Avengers."

"What happened, really?" Louis asked as they took their time walking back to the dormitories. "Did he hurt you?"

"No," she said quickly. "Don't worry. He's a loser. I threatened to tell his dad and he lost all his confidence after that."