i'm full

{"Then I'm screaming in my head
When I've got nowhere to go
And I'm falling into bed
On a high chemical low"}

LORELAI

March 20th

1997

I sit on the floor of Faye's living room. A small piece of paper in my hand, and my cellphone in the other. Faye stares at me from the couch, non-verbally urging me to press the call button.

I've been putting off calling the people who are looking for a roommate, but today is finally the day I do it.

Will and I got into a huge argument last night, resulting in sore cheeks and a bruised rib cage. I decided at that moment that I couldn't live with him for much longer. He was upset that I had switched the channel from his baseball game to a rerun of 'Friends'. He broke the mug that housed my coffee, and made me clean up the mess as he yelled. I had cut my hand on a small shard of glass, and only then did he apologize. He cried as he aided my hand, muttering a million 'sorry's'. He gave me some space after that, leaving me in a pool of tears on the kitchen floor. Eventually I crawled into bed and he cuddled up to me as if nothing happened.

I'm getting real sick of having to cover bruises.

The number sits on the screen, begging me to finally press call.

"What if they're-"

"Call!" Faye cuts off my never ending 'what if' questions, motioning with her hands to press the button.

Without thinking about it any longer, my finger presses onto the small button. I raise the phone to my ear quickly and my heart starts to beat faster with anticipation. The dial tone rings loudly into my head, adding to the building anxiety in my chest.

Suddenly the ringing stops, my heart mimics its action.

"Yellow?" A male voice rings through the speaker.

"Uhm...Hi?"

"Hold on, I have Cindy on the other line wondering when I'm picking up my Harley jacket." The line goes silent, and I pull the phone away from my ear.

"What'd they say?!" Faye questions eagerly, staring at my confused expression.

"I think he put me on hold? Said something about a woman named Cindy?" I respond, completely lost on what is going on.

"What if Cindy is another potential renter?" She asks, sliding off the couch and sitting in front of my crossed legs.

'"I don't think so, sounded more like a dry cleaning lady."

"Hello? You still there?" The muffled voice sounds off from my phone and I quickly raise it back up to my ear.

"Yes! Hello! I'm still here." I respond breathily.

"Who dis be?"

"Uhm... I'm Lorelai."

"I don't know any Lorelai's..." He starts. "Are you some sort of solicitor- I told you to stop calling me!"

"No! No, I'm not a solicitor!" I yell into the phone, praying he doesn't hang up.

Faye looks at me with wide eyes and furrowed brows.

"Yeah, sure, that's what they all say." He mutters before hanging up the phone.

I drop the phone to my lap, utterly baffled by what just happened.

"What happened?!" Faye asks, looking just as confused as me.

"He hung up on me." I reply, staring down at my phone.