zayn's song

★MITCH★

April 10th

1997

"GUYS! GUYS! GUYS!" Zayn screams, running into the living room. Harlow and I are sat on the couch watching television, Lorelai and Harry are at work, so we are the only people for Zayn to annoy today.

"Yes, Zayn?" Harlow mutters, this already being the third time Zayn had interrupted us like this.

"I think I may have just written our first big hit!" He squeals, flailing around a single piece of paper in his hands.

"Let's get this over with..." Harlow groans, sitting up on the couch.

"Well I can't just jump right in! I have to give you the backstory first, so get comfortable!"

"Oh god..." Harlow and I both sigh.

"So since Harry has been lacking lately in his job of songwriting, I decided I'd give it a shot."

"I was just sitting in my bed and it was like the song came to me! I couldn't stop writing, it was crazy. We just have to figure out the melody and instrument parts, but other than that it's perfect. It's like I wrote one line, CRUSHED IT, wrote another, CRUSHED IT, then I got to the chorus and CRUSHED IT AGAIN!"

"Please just read the song already."

"Staring at my walls
Waterfalls
Lonely in my bed
Lonelier in my head." He starts, occasionally looking up at us for our reactions.

"You're so hot
But I'm a little more hot
We could be hot together."

"Love seeing your face
I'll take you to see the place
The place being my bedroom
I love your perfume"

"This is my song
And you will sing along
Cause it's my song
And I've been waiting for so long"

"Please will you be mine
If not I might just cry
Begging at this point
Light another joint"

"Fin."

Harlow and I stare at Zayn for a second, neither of us even blinking. He stares at us eagerly, waiting for a reaction that will never come.

"Does the song have a name?" I croak out, trying to hide the laughter in my voice.

"Yes! It's called 'Zayn's Song'."

"Yeah, no way, get in the corner.." Harlow is the first to voice what we were both thinking.

"WHAT?! Really? I don't want to go in timeout!" Zayn screams in shock.

"Zayn, honey, I don't know how to put this lightly...the song is shit...pure and utter shit." Harlow speaks slowly, trying to keep his emotions at bay.

"What, so Harry can write 'I'm so horny' into a song, but yeah, my song is bad? Sure, sure." He gets defensive, standing from his seated position on the coffee table.

"Maybe just stick to playing the bass?" I say timidly, hoping he doesn't yell at me. I'm very sensitive.

The front door opens quickly, Lorelai and Harry entering the room together. They abruptly stop talking mid conversation, and stare at us all in the living room.

"Look who I ran into in the parking lot! What a coincidence." Lorelai speaks, racing off to her room without another word.

"Hey guys..." Harry says slowly, inching further and further towards his bedroom.