Patty Wood Got Married (Act 2)

INT – HOSPITAL – EARLY SATURDAY EVENING

Patty is alone on the hospital bed watching a television program called The F.B.I. There was a light double knock on the door, but she couldn't see who it was due to her curtain blocking it for privacy. But she heard a voice before she saw who it was.

REVEAL a slightly overweight man wearing a fedora and having a five o'clock shadow.

This is CHUCK (42)

CHUCK WOOD

"You know you have a tile loose on this floor here. Someone could slip and fall. Next thing you know you have a lawsuit on your hands."

Patty is still unable to see who is at the threshold of the door.

PATTY

"Dad, is that you?"

Chuck threw the curtain open as if to surprise his daughter.

CHUCK

"Hello, Cookie. How are we feeling today?"

Patty is annoyed.

PATTY

"Dad, who were you just talking to? You know these people take care of me. If you piss them off, they may not answer when I need them."

Chuck is taken back by her use of language.

CHUCK

"And when did we start talking like a sailor?"

Patty almost forgot that to him, she was his sweet seventeen year old, do no wrong daughter and not some forty year old mother of two.

PATTY

"Sorry, dad...daddy. Is mom with you?"

CHUCK

"Oh, you know your mother. She's at home inviting all of her friends over to your welcome home party tomorrow."

Patty smiled.

PATTY

"Oh...that's right."

CHUCK

"What's that honeybunch?"

Patty forgot again about the time difference.

PATTY

"Oh..a party for me? I had no idea."

Chuck made a half smile. He had an inkling that Patty knew about the party.

CHUCK

"Don't act like you didn't know."

PATTY

"Daddy, I didn't..."

CHUCK

"Now now, your mother is the only one who needs to see that fake smile of surprise. I'm just happy you get to come home tomorrow."

She smiled and then seemed to have a question.

PATTY

"Daddy?"

CHUCK

"Yeah, honeybunch?"

PATTY

"I love you."

CHUCK

"I'd give you a hug, but I, uh, forgot to shave this morning. I know how you hate it when..."

PATTY

"I'd come to like your stubble, daddy."

Chuck goes to hug Patty as she sits up on her hospital bed. And he gave her a kiss on her forehead.

CHUCK

"Well, I better get home and check on your mother... before she goes and rents out the entire park for tomorrow."

PATTY

"Oh my god, Mitchell will be there. That's when it happens"

CHUCK

"Yeah that's right. He was on the list that Camille gave to your mother. You know. Of your friends to invite."

Patty nodded to show that she understood.

CHUCK (CONT'D)

"That's when what happens?"

PATTY

"Oh, nothing. Tell mom I said I miss her."

CHUCK

"Sure thing."

Chuck looked around the room as if he was making sure he didn't forget anything.

CHUCK (CONT'D)

"Well, good night honeybunch. We'll see you first thing in the morning."

He pulled up the blanket over Patty and tucked her in. She asked him to shut the television off for her so she could sleep. As he was leaving, she added one more thing.

PATTY

"Hey dad, could you tell mom to add one more name to the list?"

CHUCK

"Sure thing, sweetie. Who is it?"

PATTY

"Graham. Graham Chase."