Patty Wood Got Married (Act 3)

EXT - A COUNTY PARK IN THREE RIVERS - SHORTLY AFTER NOON

A canopy is set up with tables underneath. Food is neatly organized and scattered across the three tables covered with white cloths that reach the green grass below it. Balloons of all colors and sizes meticulously placed around the perimeter of the canopy. The big ones read 'Welcome Home.'

Eight smaller round tables that each had six chairs encompassing them were spread out.

Patty's mother was talking to a friend and setting up the dinnerware. Her father was seated at one of the tables with his business partner, Thomas Jones, drinking a beer from the bottle. Thomas Jones had a cigar in his mouth. All were dressed in their Sunday best.

Slowly walking away from one of the three ponds in the park and towards the canopy were Patty and Camille.

CAMILLE

"Looks like our moms are done setting up the food."

PATTY

"Yeah... and some people are already coming."

Camille reaches for Patty's hand and stops her from walking.

CAMILLE

"I almost forgot. Your mom told my mom that you asked to invite Graham Chase to this thing."

PATTY

"Yeah... so."

CAMILLE

"Well, when my mom asked me, I had to dig up my yearbook to even find out who this guy was."

PATTY

"And? Did you find him?"

CAMILLE

"Patty, he's a spaz... a dork."

PATTY

"Yeah... well... people can change. He can even be hot when he's older."

Camille gives Patty a confused look.

CAMILLE

"Even be what?"

PATTY

"You know... good looking."

CAMILLE

"You out to lunch or something?"

A boy walking over catches Camille's eye.

CAMILLE (CONT'D)

"Now this boy is... what did you say... hot?"

Camera focuses on the boy walking over in a button up herringbone shirt with a matching pair of flared slacks. It then zooms in on his face. He's now a few feet away from the girls. Camille smiles at him.

CAMILLE (CONT'D)

"Hi, Mitchell"

MITCHELL MOSCARELLI

"Hey sunshine."

Mitchell then faces Patty.

MITCHELL (CONT'D)

"Welcome home, Patty. Hope you're feeling groovy."

Patty quickly remembers why she was never into the boy every girl wanted. The boy everyone expected to be with his popular counterpart of the opposite sex. But he just wasn't her type.

PATTY

"Groovy to the max"

Patty always hated that worn out word. And in her head, she counted... 3, 2 and 1. And she spoke at just a light whisper.