Patty Wood Got Married (Act 9)

Ext – Movie Theatre - 10:30 P.M.

People are exiting the theater in many but small groups with leftover popcorn in their hands.

Graham and Patty are seen walking out. The only thing each is holding is the other's hand. Both are smiling and glancing at movie posters on the outer walls, deciding which film they should see next.

Graham is now heard speaking.

GRAHAM

"Did you like the film?"

Patty just smiled. She was still getting use to the fact that he didn't know her at all, yet. Through the many years together, he had gotten to the point where he knew how she felt just by the move of her eyebrows.

PATTY

"Yes, I did. It was great to see Mr. Olsen from Little House on the Prairie do something else."

GRAHAM (confused)

"Little House on the what?"

Patty quickly had a blank expression.

GRAHAM (cont'd)

"Oh, this is one of those movies from the future that you can't tell me about."

Patty attempted to change the subject.

PATTY

"So, I take it you liked the movie?"

GRAHAM

"It's just ironic is all."

Patty smiled.

PATTY

"What's the irony?"

GRAHAM

"Well, you have a couple of people that want to change the outcome of a disaster..."

Graham paused, in words and movement. Patty stopped abruptly since her hand was still in his. She turned to face him.

GRAHAM (cont'd)

"...and you Patty Wood can clearly change the apparent and inevitable disastrous outcome in my future. Yet, you would rather just sit and watch it all unfold... again."

Patty gave a look of surrender.

PATTY

"Alright, Graham. You win. You really want to know?"

Graham laughed and shrugged his shoulders.

GRAHAM

"I would like to very much know how I, a nothing to everybody, is at some point in the future with the most popular and prettiest girl in school, and how I manage to screw that up."

Graham paused and thought to himself. He released Patty's hand and took a step back.

GRAHAM (cont'd)

"Of course. Why wouldn't I screw it up? I screw everything up."

Patty came to his defense.

PATTY

"No. Graham it just wasn't you. I have my tendencies that push people away. That just comes with being adopted."

GRAHAM

"You were adopted? Really?"

PATTY

"Yes. It's not something I go around telling everyone, but you're eventually going to find out anyway."

GRAHAM

"I'm honored that you told me. Does Camille know?"

PATTY

"Yes, of course Camille knows. She's my closest friend."

Patty's mind wanders, but Graham doesn't notice.

GRAHAM

"Do you have any information? Do you know your mother's name? Do you know your name?"

PATTY

"Hallie Lowenthal."

GRAHAM

"Your name was Hallie Lowenthal?"

PATTY

"No, Graham. That's the woman you have an affair with."

Graham looked surprised.

GRAHAM

"I have an affair with a woman named Hallie Lowenthal?"

PATTY

"Well, I don't know if it was an affair, but..."

GRAHAM

"You don't know? Patty, you're accusing thirty year old me...thirty?"

PATTY

"Forty."

GRAHAM

"Forty year old me of having an affair, and you're not sure?

Patty smiled.

"Just promise me, Graham. Promise me that no matter how nice of a person she may be, promise me that you'll run away as soon as you meet her."

Graham now smiled.

GRAHAM

"Well... what if she's really nice?"

Patty went up to him and kissed him.

GRAHAM (cont'd)

"Not even if she's super nice."

He took hold of her hand once more and began to walk her home.