11. Lonely Emperor

Amar was quite familiar with the gardens, touring them as a child. He stopped along a certain flower. A chrysanthemum. Those were his favourite.

Following Amar's exile, the Emperor had removed all chrysanthemums within the palace. He wondered what a single one was doing, unpicked. Though it was night, there was still some brightness. When the colours of the flowers suddenly darkened, Amar turned around.

There he was. The Emperor. He looked at Amar with disgust. "What are you doing here, foreigner?" He asked.

Amar kept his head down, for the fear of sudden recognition. He couldn't speak, either. Claude shifted, coming to his own conclusion. "You are trespassing." He added. Claude waved for Felix, his personal guard. "Bring the servant back to his room."

But Amar would not budge. Why couldn't he move? He had seen the Emperor several times since his exile, and had never frozen. Stupid, stupid.

But the Emperor suddenly stopped Felix from moving any further. He walked towards Amar. "Do you like those flowers?" He asked.

Ah. What would Amar say? He didn't reply, and the Emperor continued further. "Those were my sons favourite flowers."

What? His son? Claude considered Amar as his son? Still? He finally had the nerve to look at Claude, only to find Claude staring at him. "Your name is Cyre, right?"

Amar nodded. If only he were called by his real name, though. Suddenly he didn't want to take over Obelia anymore. Suddenly he wanted to give up. Could he abandon his mission to feel the love of a father?

Claude noticed Amar struggling to speak. "If you have any questions, ask." The Emperor said.

"Why..." Amar started. "Why is there only one chrysanthemum amongst the orchids?"

"I couldn't bare to get rid of the last flower. The last memory of my son."

Amar reacted. There was no way he couldn't. He backed away from the Emperor, emotions of fear and confusion. Claude turned to him. The softness from his face already gone. "Did you think I wouldn't recognise you?" He asked. "Amar. Look at me."

Claude sneered. "Did you think me dumb? Clueless? Son, your efforts are futile. A wig and contacts will do nothing. I raised you. You were to be my heir. And then you go and ruin things, and you expect me to forget your face. Like you and your mother aren't already the reasons I cannot sleep peacefully at night?" He laughed.

"Why did you come back? DID YOU THINK YOU COULD TAKE CONTROL OF ME? ME? EVEN THAT PITIFUL GUARD OF YOURS IS MORE SUITABLE TO BE AN HEIR THAN YOU ARE!"

Both father and son were shaking. One of anger and one of fear. Only then Felix step in, taking Amar by his arm, but sword in his other hand.

"No, NO FELIX. STOP." Claude shouted. He was in a fury too deep to escape now. The guard stepped away.

The only other time Claude was this angry with Amar was the poisoning of Jennette.

"Who let you in here?"

Amar shook his head. Any answer he would give now would surely bring Claude to his breaking point.

Claude repeated his question again, taking Felix's sword.

"Do you truly want to die?"