14. Super Secret Spy

It was hard to keep the facade of betrayal when you were a hypocrite. Isidore knew this better than others. He was a hypocrite, in many ways. Hell, it was so easy to be. Isidore was a knight, yes, but not for the kingdom of Obelia.

Obelias security was lax, which is how even the exiled prince, of whom everyone knows, was able to get back into the palace. Even deceive his own father.

Isidore didn't believe it was all so simple. How the Emperor just let Amar in. No repercussions. No, the Emperor was planning something bigger. Bigger than anyone could ever imagine.

And Isidore would be there to see it. He would never get caught. They trust him too much.

Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer.

Obelia will enter war soon.

Obelia will fall.

——

A family dinner so soon felt like the worst thing to accept, but Amar had to. He had to show Claude how trustworthy he is. But he still had no idea how to contact his uncle.

The first meal served was a simple vegetable soup. This was Athanasia's favourite.

Jennette looked up from her meal. Amar still hadn't had the chance to talk to her since he was allowed back in the palace. Not that he wanted to.

"Athanasia isn't as good as you think she is, Amar." She said.

What brought that up? Oh. He must've had the thought of the soup out loud. It seemed that Jennette was trying to be nice to her cousin-brother-relative. They had the same mother, yet they never really accepted each other as siblings.

"How so?" Amar replied.

"She was a spoiled brat."

"What?"

"Yes. Do you know that she used to frolic with criminals?"

"..."

"Not only that! She was mean and rude to everyone around her. Except for you, of course. You were an acception. The older brother. The one she actually cared about. That really does hurt me, you know?"

"Are you trying to suck up to me?"

"Oh. No. You don't dare come and steal what is mine, and when I try to accept you with welcome arms, you treat me like this!"

"To be fair, I was exiled for no reason. You were just... holding the crown for a little while. Having such a taste of power could be bad for people. Especially for someone so... greedy."

This was a family dinner, yet Claude was not here. Only Jennette, Ijekiel, and Isidore. Jennette fiancé sat beside her without a word. He didn't seem to talk much. More like a minion to the princess. Isidore was quiet too, albeit giving Amar the dirtiest death stare ever. Isidore stood right behind Amar, watching. Every. Single. Move.

It had been like that for the past few days. Amar felt the shadow cast above him before, become even bigger. Isidore leaned close to the princes ear. "Her highness is speaking to you." He said, his breath tickling Amar's ear.

Oh. Amar must of gotten lost in thought. It wa something he seemed to do a lot, and-

Oh. Wait. He really was doing it again. Amar cleared his throat, before leaving the dining room. He didn't even get to hear what Jennette had said to him. It was likely nothing important anyways.

Isidore still followed him from behind. It was getting quite annoying. He barely had any time alone. "Leave me alone, will you?" He asked the guard.

"I don't want to be here either. It is the Emperors order."

"Even to the bathroom?"

"What? Go bathroom. I'm not a stalker."

Amar gave a side-eye, before entering the bedroom closest to the dining room. His quarters. He went to the bathroom. But alas, he was still not alone.

Sitting on the toilet seat was The Great Esta.