Chapter 16

"Still no answer? How is it possible? Did you make a complete check up of the communication system? What does it mean that since Arm isn't here you can't do that! Shit... where the hell did they go... anyway, call me if you discover anything, clear? Good..." Pete said at the phone and eventually hung up. He sighed and looked outside the window, still wondering why nobody was communicating with the central base.

"What's wrong?" Vegas said with his soft, soothing voice, tapping his fingers on his forearm and looking at Pete through the reflection on the glass of the window. Pete turned to him, surprised to see him, unable to determine how much of his conversation at the phone he could have overheard.

"Nothing, Khun Vegas..." Pete replied rapidly and tried to walk to the door of the room, Vegas placed a hand on his chest and stopped him, he caressed his cheek, Pete's eyes following every movement of the hand on his skin, then he added: "I thought you got used to avoiding calling me Khun... you keep surprising me, Pete"

Pete didn't add a word and moved Vegas's hand away violently, Vegas looked at this like an apparent insult and he couldn't stand that, he grabbed Pete's arm and pushed him back. The heir of the minor family closed the door and locked it, as Pete tried to scream, Vegas jumped onto him and pushed his hand on the guy's mouth.

"You know that there is no way to stop me, Pete, why do you keep trying when you know that you're doomed to fail?" Vegas said with his usual arrogant expression, enjoying the fear and disgust in the guy's eyes. He slowly moved his other hand down Pete's leg, looking for his gun, but before he could do so, Pete managed to kick him and steal the gun.

The pain was unbearable to Vegas and for several seconds he stayed on the floor with his hands on his stomach while Pete pointed the gun at him.

"You won't do it... you're too weak to shoot at me" Vegas said laughing as he looked at Pete standing there with tears all over his face.

"I don't want to do it..." Pete murmured before shooting at Vegas's leg.

"WHY THE FUCK DID YOU DO IT?!" Vegas screamed in pain, Pete sat on the armchair in the corner of the room and kept observing him.

"It is your fault... you pushed me so far that I was ready to kill myself rather than endure your physical and psychological torture, don't tell me that you thought you weren't going to pay for it" Pete replied.

"Fuck you..."

"You really don't get it, do you Vegas? You are no longer in power, the minor family doesn't exist anymore... you killed your own father because you knew he was wrong, then why are you still making the same mistakes he did?" Pete said. He felt weird, he liked it, he felt the blood in his veins running faster and hotter, it was better than the strongest liquor or the most expensive drug...

"You like it d..." before Vegas could finish his sentence, Pete punched him.

"I love you... Vegas... but you keep seeking power and revenge, don't you understand that it will only lead you to a miserable death? Probably even worse than your own father's death? Alone... in the dark..." Pete added.

"I... I..." Vegas stuttered, knowing there was no way to turn the situation in his favor.

"Ask for forgiveness, Vegas, this is the only way out of this hell... Kinn will accept, I swear that he will!" Pete told him, Vegas closed his eyes for a moment, after he reopened the gun pointed at him, Pete cleared his throat and added: "Or I will have to do this..."

"We both know that you won't shoot at me, no matter what..." Vegas responded, there was basically no other chance, so why not risking it all.

"You're right" Pete replied with a smile, he pointed the gun under his chin, Vegas cried out his name and pulled the guy's arm, Pete shot a bullet, Vegas couldn't breathe, he couldn't believe that Pete could actually do what he tried to do and always failed.

"Pete... why... why did you do that?" Vegas whispered as he hugged Pete's leg tightly, this time he didn't even try to stop the flow of tears from his eyes.

"I only missed because of you..." Pete replied.