~10~

Scott POV-

He sat down next to Jimmy, smiling at the dark blonde. "Glad to see you're back in school, cod boy." Scott commented.

"Mhm. I'm honestly surprised that you didn't get sick as well." Jimmy said with a shrug.

Scott glanced across the table at Joel, who was staring at a piece of paper with a frustrated expression. "So... you wanna tell me what that's about?"

"Oh, he's trying to memorise his lines for the play." Lizzie said with a sigh, sitting next to the brunette. "He's done quite well so far, to be fair, it's just he... gets some things mixed up."

"That's putting it politely." Gem muttered, and Lizzie shot a half hearted glare in her direction.

"Be nice, Gem, he's trying." The pink haired girl said quietly.

The cyan haired boy glanced at Joel as he started muttering under his breath. "Does that say does or... or doth?" The brunette mumbled, squinting at the piece of paper.

Lizzie looked over his shoulder. "It says 'doth', Joel."

"Why is Shakespearean English so difficult to understand?" The brunette grumbled, glaring.

"So you can pronounce 'Shakespearean' but not 'doth'?" Lizzie asked, slightly amused.

"Well- hey, I can pronounce it! It's just weird!" Joel protested. "Like, who the hell says 'doth'?"

"Romeo." Scott said wryly, earning himself an annoyed look from Joel.

"I know that, I just- Hmph. Shakespeare spoke weirdly." The brunette complained.

"It's not exactly rocket science, Joel." Lizzie said with a sigh. "It's a fairly simple line as well- 'O, she doth teach the torches to burn bright.'"

"See- that's weird? Who says that? Not me, that's for sure." Joel said stubbornly.

"Well, you will need to say it if you want to take part in the play." The pink haired girl said with amusement.

"Well- you read some of your lines then if it's so easy!" Joel said, one eyebrow raised.

"Will do." Lizzie pulled out her phone, opening something up and clearing her throat. "My bounty is as boundless as the sea, my love as deep; the more I give to thee, the more I have, for both are infinite." She finished elegantly.

Joel stared. "How do you- what- huh?"

Jimmy rolled his eyes, looking away from the confused brunette and glancing at Scott. "Oh, by the way- you left this badge thing at my place." He pulled a small circular badge with a red poppy and a dark green background carefully painted onto it out of his pocket, every last detail as close to perfect as Scott could get it to be.

"Oh- that. You can have it. I was gonna give it to you anyway." Scott said with a shrug, smiling slightly. He had been working on it over the past few days- he wasn't too bad at painting, he supposed.

"Really? Are you sure?" Jimmy asked.

"Mhm."

"Oh! Well, thanks!" The dark blonde exclaimed brightly, carefully pinning the badge to his shirt with a smile.

"I- um- no problem, I guess." Scott mumbled, turning his head away so that Jimmy couldn't see the cyan haired boy's face going bright red.

It was then that he noticed the awkward silence at the table.

Jimmy swiftly noticed it as well. "What?"

"Why was he at your house?" Joel asked with an expression Scott couldn't read.

"I was checking up on him while he was sick, genius." Scott responded quickly. "And I'm ninety percent sure you're trying to distract Lizzie so you don't have to practice your lines."

The brunette let out a mock gasp. "I'm offended you would ever suggest such a thing, Mr Major." Joel said dramatically.

Lizzie sighed with a fond smile. "I'm inclined to believe he's right, Joel. Now come on, read the line."

"But it sounds weird!" Joel whined. "Like- who says 'doth'?!"

It was only a few minutes before the people on the table continued their conversations, and Scott let out a breath he didn't know he'd been holding.

"Did you guys hear about Joey and Xornoth?" Shelby asked conversationally.

"No?" Scott said, one eyebrow raised.

"Well, apparently Xornoth asked Joey out the other night and Joey said yes." The brunette said, her eyebrows raised. "Which is strange, because I've talked to Joey a few times and he's never showed any interest in Xornoth."

"I don't particularly want to hear about that absolute fool's love life." Joel said with a huff, muttering under his breath as he glanced back at his lines.

"I guessed that much." Shelby said with a shrug. "Just thought Scott might like to know."

"I can't believe my brother got a boyfriend before me." Scott complained. "I mean- he has an incredibly unattractive personality- like, who would date him?" He noticed Jimmy staring at him. "What?"

"You said that your brother got a boyfriend before you... are you gay?" Jimmy asked bluntly.

"Yup." Scott said, one eyebrow raised. "Why?"

"Oh- uh- no reason, no reason." Jimmy mumbled, looking away.

"Oooookay." Scott said, glancing away from Jimmy and looking at Joel, who looked slightly more confident and was repeating the same line as before under his breath. "Let's hear the line, Romeo."

Joel pulled his tongue at Scott, before reading the line. "O, she doth teach the torches to burn bright." He read, if slightly awkwardly.

Lizzie and Scott clapped, Lizzie slightly more enthusiastic.

"See, that wasn't too hard, was it?" Lizzie said with a smile.

"I guess not." Joel said, glancing at the pink haired girl with a small smile.

Jimmy pulled a face, shooting Lizzie a significant look. His sister glared at him, shaking her head furiously. They continued to have a silent conversation for about ten more seconds before Jimmy sighed and gave up, turning to FWhip as the other student started talking about robotics club.

Scott exchanged a glance with Joel, who shrugged and glanced back at his lines for a moment before muttering something to Lizzie.

Lizzie glanced at Joel, slightly curious and slightly surprised as the two got up and left.

Jimmy stared after them, both eyebrows raised. "Wonder what that's about."

Scott rolled his eyes. "Mhm. I wonder."