~15~

Scott POV-

He sat down next to Joel with a small wave.

"Scott, are you okay?" That was the first thing his friend asked. "Because after those super depressing messages, I got no response from you at all." Joel added with a wry grin.

"Do I look okay, Joel?" Scott asked quietly, one eyebrow raised. Oh my god, I just realised, Jimmy's gonna be sitting with us at lunch. Has he said anything? Does Lizzie hate me now? Or do we just have to awkwardly sit there and pretend that I didn't say all of those horrible things for the sake of our friend group?

"Well... not particularly." Joel frowned. "Was it that bad?" The brunette added, slightly more sympathetically than Scott would have expected from Joel.

"Yes, it was that bad, and now he probably hates me and I've ruined everything." Scott muttered.

"What happened?" Joel asked.

I can't exactly explain it without mentioning that it was Jimmy... and I don't want Joel to hate me as well. "It's... complicated."

"That's incredibly vague. Okay, let's try something else... who was it?" The brunette tried.

"Unimportant!" Scott hissed, looking away and glancing at the teacher as he started talking about some of the alliances of the old empires- something to do with the Cod Empire and Rivendell, but he didn't particularly care.

"Oh, okay. I'm sorry." Joel whispered. "If there's anything I can do to help, just let me know."

Scott smiled half-heartedly. "Thanks, Joel."

——

He sat down at the table next to Joel rather than in his usual seat, earning himself an oddly pitying look from the brunette as he waved quietly at FWhip and Gem, who were having a spirited conversation about something or other.

"Oh, hey Scott!" FWhip said brightly, and Gem nodded in his direction before continuing to talk to her twin.

Scott muttered a hello back, his gaze lingering on the seat Jimmy normally sat at before starting a conversation with Katherine about her flower garden, which Scott had promised to visit at some point.

"So like... what flowers do you have?" Scott asked curiously. "I honestly don't know any types of flowers. I know, like, a poppy and a sunflower, and that's it."

"Well I have alliums, poppies, oxeye daisies, cornflowers... um, blue orchids, and peonies- I probably have more but I can't remember them right now." Katherine admitted with a grin.

"Cornflowers are the darkish blue ones, right?" Scott guessed awkwardly. I'm pretty sure that cornflower blue is a shade of blue, so I think it should be blue?

"Correct, Major." The brunette girl said with a grin. Katherine glanced over as some other people sat down. "Oh, hey Lizzie! And Jimmy!"

Scott stiffened slightly, his gaze briefly flicking to the dark blonde boy before he looked away as he felt a wave of sadness wash over him, accompanied by guilt and annoyance with himself, as well as the butterfly-like feeling in his stomach that he normally felt when he saw Jimmy.

"Hello Scott!" Lizzie said brightly. So he didn't tell her I was the one who argued with him. "Why are you sat over there?"

He shrugged half-heartedly, his enthusiasm for conversation vanishing. "Sorry. I kinda stole your seat."

"It's fine, don't worry about it." Lizzie said with a grin, sitting in Scott's usual place next to Jimmy (who was staring at the ground and saying nothing) instead.

Scott glanced at Joel, who was watching the pink haired girl with a slightly regretful expression. "I can swap with Lizzie if you want, Joel." He said, just loud enough so that only Joel could hear.

For a heartbeat, it looked as if the brunette was about to agree before Joel shook his head. "No, it's fine, don't worry about it." His friend reassured him. Joel glanced at Jimmy. "I heard you got in argument with someone, you good?" He asked the dark blonde.

Jimmy glanced at him with a shrug, seemingly avoiding glancing in Scott's direction. Just the idea that Jimmy was avoiding him hurt him a lot. I deserve it, though. He didn't deserve to have any of that said to him.

It was when Jimmy glanced in his direction that Scott realised he'd been staring and he looked away quickly, clearing his throat. "Can I, um, speak to you for a minute, Jimmy?" He asked quietly, earning himself a rather confused look from Joel. "In private?" I'll just explain that it was all a massive misunderstanding and we can be friends again. Hopefully.

Jimmy raised one eyebrow. "Sure."

"Okay, over here, come on. It'll only take a minute." Scott led the dark blonde to a secluded corner of the room, earning a few odd looks from the other students. He winced slightly as he spotted a look of understanding and slight disappointment appear on Joel's face.

"What is it? You better not be wasting my time, Major." Jimmy snapped, glaring at Scott with an occasional glance (he assumed) to check that Lizzie wasn't watching.

"I just- I wanted to apologise. For the other day." Scott said awkwardly, looking the other boy up and down.

"You don't need to apologise. You were just telling the truth." Jimmy said with a sigh, his gaze changing from unfriendly to slightly sad. "If you don't want to be friends with me, Scott, then I respect that. I'm not gonna try and force you to be friends with me."

Jimmy paused. "Just... don't mention it to anyone else- especially not Lizzie. It's not fair for you to end up with no friends just because you don't want to be my friend. I hope you're happier now." The dark blonde added quietly.

"Jimmy, that's not what I meant-" He stared helplessly as Lizzie's brother walked back over to the table and sat down, staring at the floor. Even when I try to apologise I mess things up.

Hahaha you really thought I was going to get them to resolve their argument in one chapter? /hj