~16~

Scott POV-

He sat down next to Joel with a sigh of defeat- the bell had rang and they had all gone their separate ways to go to their individual lessons. "Talking to Jimmy was pointless."

"Was it Jimmy?" The brunette asked quietly. Scott had expected that from the moment he'd seen the knowing look on Joel's face. "Was Jimmy the one you failed to ask out and insulted?"

"I- okay, yeah, it was Jimmy." Scott admitted with a shrug.

"I knew it!" Joel yelped, earning himself a stern glance from their Art teacher. He lowered his voice with an apologetic look in the teacher's direction before continuing to talk. "So... what did you say and how mad should I be at you on a scale of one to ten?"

"Definitely a ten. And I said that I was only friends with him because he was Lizzie's brother." Scott said with a wince. He flinched slightly as the brunette slapped him across the face, staring back at his friend. "What-"

"You definitely deserved that, Major, but I'm not going to get mad at you any further than that because I know it was a misunderstanding." Joel said quietly. "But don't do it again."

"I did deserve that." Scott mumbled. "Jesus Christ, you're stronger than you look, mate." He added ruefully, his face stinging.

"Sorry, but you were a terrible friend and from what I can tell you really upset Jimmy. But again, I forgive you because I know it was a misunderstanding." Joel repeated. "So... did he forgive you?"

"Nope. I said I wanted to apologise, and he said it was fine and he wasn't going to force me to be friends with him. And then he walked away." Scott said mournfully. "So now he thinks I hate him more than he already thought I did."

"Well, you need to explain and apologise before Lizzie finds out and tears your head off." Joel said with a laugh. "Even if he doesn't forgive you, he'll still know that you're sorry and you want to be his friend if he'll let you."

"I mean, I guess you're right, but..." He was cut off by Gem, who was sat a few empty seats away from them.

"You're the one who upset Jimmy?" She asked quietly, eyebrows raised as her face contorted into a thoughtful expression.

"I- yes. Please don't tell Lizzie." The cyan haired boy added quietly, hoping his plea would be enough to prevent the ginger haired girl from telling Jimmy's sister.

"I won't. So... you thought Jimmy would actually like you?" She asked wryly.

"I guess it was a bit of a stretch, but yeah, a little bit-" he was cut off by FWhip's twin yet again.

"You know he just got a boyfriend, right?" Gem asked with a sly expression. He stared at Gem. Maybe I misheard her. I had to have misheard her. There's no way that- he can't-

He glanced at the ground as he felt his heart shatter into a million pieces. So I didn't misunderstand him. He did like someone else. I mean, I guess I hoped... but that was stupid.

Scott vaguely heard Joel's voice in the background- something along the lines of 'Gem, what the hell is wrong with you?'- but he couldn't really tell. It was as if all of his senses had been numbed. It was when he felt his cheeks get wet and he saw small droplets of water started to fall onto his desk that he realised he had started crying.

Scott quickly wiped his eyes, breathing a shaky breath before looking away from both Joel and Gem and glancing at the teacher, twisting his pencil between his fingers with a blank expression as the teacher started talking about something to do with shading.

It all sounded pointless to him. It felt pointless. He doesn't like you. You didn't misunderstand him. He has a boyfriend. You're such an idiot.

——

Scott closed his locker to find a slightly embarrassed Jimmy staring at him, and he felt the same dull ache in his chest as the dark blonde quickly looked away, staring at nothing in particular.

He opened his mouth to speak, to say something- 'I'm sorry'? 'I miss you'? Scott didn't know- but no words came out.

Jimmy seemed to have noticed Scott watching him quietly because his gaze flicked to the boy with cyan hair. "What is it? Why do you keep looking at me?"

"I just... I don't-" Come on Scott, just speak! Even if he has a boyfriend, you can tell him how you feel. People always say confessing your feelings is the best way to get over them... right? The hallway was mostly deserted apart from Joel watching from the other end of the hallway, so it wasn't like he was embarrassing himself. "I don't know. Never mind. Sorry." He finished awkwardly. Damnit, Scott!

"It looked like you wanted to say something. What?" Jimmy asked quietly, as if prompting him to speak up and tell the truth. Which he was, Scott supposed.

"I just... wanted to talk to you. For a minute. It'll only take a minute and you don't have to care." Scott added slightly desperately as Jimmy took a wary step backwards. "I just need you to listen to me. That's all I want. Then you can leave, and- and go home, and-" And text your boyfriend, probably, he couldn't help adding to himself bitterly.

Jimmy paused, his face contorting into an odd expression- Hope? Anxiety? Sadness? Scott guessed internally. He could feel his pulse skyrocketing as he waited for the dark blonde's response.

Jimmy sighed. "Okay. Say what you need to say. But if you're just going to talk about how much you hate me again, Scott, then I wouldn't even bother, because I know. I know." He repeated, his voice cracking slightly as if he was holding back tears.

"I'm not! I'm not, I promise." Jimmy looked up as Scott continued talking. "I just wanted to tell you that..."

MWAHAHAHA CLIFFHANGER LMAO

I gotta go out now so I probably won't update this for a while.

I will say this- the next chapter will either be incredibly angsty or incredibly happy and fluffy

I'm not telling you which though