11.

WARNING: Mature themes, strong language and scenes of a sexual nature.

Caius blew air out from his lips as he silently entered the throne room

Caius blew air out from his lips as he silently entered the throne room. Marcus and Aro expectantly turned their heads in his direction as he did and he rubbed his chin, not at all sure what to say to them. They were waiting for answers.

"We have absolutely destroyed that girl," he shook his head, laughing slightly. Felix had taken Anavrin off somewhere as soon as they returned home from the staged apartment-- she hadn't spoken since they'd bid farewell to her fiery aunt and he hadn't bothered to question her, she certainly didn't seem in the mood for any bickering. Caius would never admit it but he was worried for her, worried that she hadn't been as strong as they were expecting and that they truly had ruined an already broken girl. He didn't know why he laughed when he told them but he was in a moment of shock-- he truly had expected more from her, more fight and fire.

"What are you talking about Brother?" Aro frowned, ever the hater of being left in the dark. He held a hand up beckoningly but Caius ignored it entirely, not for the first time. Aro might have the gift of seeing his every thought but that didn't mean he had to allow it.

"I am talking about how you were both so worried I'd ruin everything and at this moment-- it is the pair of you that have upset her the most," Marcus was usually silent on his throne though a storm of shadows had overtaken his features as though he was in solemn despair.

"We have done nothing, you are the one that insults her at every turn, at every pause." Aro's voice had raised, a sure sign to Caius that he knew he was in the wrong.

"I am the only one who has told her the truth! I divorced my wife the second I learned my mate had arrived in the same country as us before I ever even met her! I never pretended anything. And yes, maybe I could have been kinder but at least I never sold her a lie." Caius felt anger burn and bubble inside him, unsure where it had come from.

"Why are you speaking of divorce?" Aro asked, not looking in his face but his voice was suddenly deathly calm once again. "What did you tell her?!"

"The truth! Sulpicia, Veronica--" Caius was cut off by being tackled quite violently to the ground, a punch landed across his cheek by, predictably, Aro.

"You had no right!"

"I had every right!" He was cut off by a second punch across the cheek but Caius fought back now, throwing Aro off and jumping to his feet.

"Stop this, both of you. We have all wronged her!" Marcus pushed himself to stand, as Aro found his feet. "We have all been fools, her happiness is all that should have mattered all along and none of us had the right to keep a thing from her. I myself am greatly ashamed that I have. All we can do now is apologise and give her time. We have upended her life and we must accept the consequences...It was always a matter of time, Aro, It was only a matter of time before all the shock, all the fairytale beauty and awe of it all wore off. She will forgive you, I know she shall. But she has to be allowed the time to do so, to understand her own emotions. For the time being, we shall all do our best to treat her better." Marcus rubbed his hand over his face.