Chapter 31

I walk back towards the common room, everyone has left for the Hogwarts express. It feels strange to see Hogwarts so empty. I'm the only person from Gryffindor who stayed. That means, I get the whole tower for myself!

I guess it will be kind of boring without my friends. But I don't think it's that bad.

I can do some more research on my dreams without disruption. I've also thought about talking to either professor McGonagall or professor Dumbledore about them. Now would be a great time. I'll think about it

I sing 'Honey, Honey' happily to myself as I walk through the portrait into the common room. 

"The way that you kiss goodnight, the way that you-" I freeze and stop singing when I see the one and only James Potter sitting on one of the sofas.

We stare at each other for a moment. Me - standing still in the middle of the room, completely surprised and shocked to see him here, when I was informed that no one else would be staying. James - comfortably leaning back on the sofa with one of his arm resting on the top of the sofa, a usual grin on his face.

"You have a good voice," He grins at me.

"Bloody hell, what are you doing here?" I ask still confused.

No one was supposed to be here! And now there is James Potter sitting on the sofa. The worst part - he heard me singing. 

"Uh, Remus told us that you will stay at Hogwarts for the break. And we knew that nobody else from our house would stay. So, I thought that I would also stay here, you know, keep you company. If you want, of course!" James explains while nervously playing with his hair.

Did he really stay here, just because of me? That's actually very sweet of him. Maybe he has changed for the good this time.

I smile and sit down next to him. "Thank you, that's very sweet of you, James."

"It's the least I could do." He smiles back.

We sit in a silence for a moment. Not exactly an awkward silence, but not really a comfortable one either, a middle ground. It feels like both of us are trying to say something but don't have the courage.

There are many things I would like to say to him. Starting from how he's an arrogant toerag and finishing with how I miss him.

But I stay quiet. Mostly hoping that he will say something first, I think it's fair enough. Maybe some would think it's a bit selfish of me, which I partly agree on, but he's the reason we're in this mess from the start.

James sighs and sits up so he's facing me.

So he is going to start the conversation.

"Look Y/N, I want to apologize. And even if you don't want to accept it, please, hear me out. That's the only thing I ask from you." I feel him staring right at me.

I turn my head towards him and meet his eyes. His beautiful hazel eyes that I always seem to get lost into. 

I nod slowly.

"I realize how much of an arsehole I've been. I was so bloody stupid, acting like a total douche towards you. And I regret it so much. I don't know what got into me to act like that, especially with you. And I'm so, so sorry." He doesn't break eye contact at all. His eyes are so gentle and full of sincerity. 

He drops his head for a second and takes a deep breath. I frown a little and lift my hand from my lap and place it on his shoulder. 

He raises his head and looks at me. Again, those bloody eyes, they get me every time.