Chapter Three: Best Birthday Present

Princess Poppy was standing on a small circular stand as final adjustments were made to her dress. Her usually curly blonde hair was straightened to the bone. As one maid put on her hair ornaments another was finishing Poppy's makeup. She wanted to make Poppy's golden eyes pop so she stuck to light blue shades. She was the youngest and final sibling to turn into a adult so the celebration couldn't be as minimal as her last birthdays were in the past.

Her family knew she wasn't a people person. Her bed and lab were her home. If she wasn't in either, then she was probably in the library reading magic books. Magic, the science of this world never ceased to entertain her. It was unpredictable yet so geniusly designed. There was nothing in this world that compared to the feeling of creating something so bizarre yet so spectacular.

But here she was. In a stuffy dress being forced to celebrate her birthday in a way she absolutely despised. With boring people in a boring place. Poppy sighed, 'Just think of the food Poppy. The food.'

Her maids stepped back and smiled at their work. "You're ready Princess!" She nodded and stepped off the small platform. She winced. Her feet were already hurting in these heels. But she had to bare with it. 'They didn't even bother to buy me shoes that fit?'

Poppy entered the ballroom and sighed as the all too familiar sound of gibbering nobles and the smell of expensive perfumes drowned her senses. "Kill me now," she whispered. The knight beside her flinched from her words but stayed silent.

"ENTERING IS THE TWELTH PRINCESS, POPPY LULLABY." Poppy held onto the arm of her body guard knight for the night as she strut down the stairs.  She smiled to the crowd of nobles and thanked them for coming. 'You can all go home now.' Once the formalities were over she headed straight to the buffet table.

No one was watching her anymore. Again. Because no one cared. So she eagerly filled her plate with snacks and walked outside through a side entrance. She had asked her father for special permission to have the royal garden open with chairs and tables to eat at. It was just her excuse to hide in the maze until the night was over.

Poppy walked past all the tables and entered the maze. She was ten when she memorized the ins and outs of this maze. She knew it like the back of her hand, and it even proved to be an amazing hiding spot when needed. In the center of the maze was a fountain. Poppy plopped down on the fountain and heaved out a sigh. She slipped off her heels and popped a macaroon in her mouth. 'I want to go to bed.'

She stared up at the night sky. 'I want to fly to the moon. No royal balls. No stuffy dresses. No judgy nobles. Just me and all the moon rock I could wish for.'

"Princess Poppy," a maid greeted her.  She was never truly hidden in the palace. Her body guard must have told the maid where she was. "Happy birthday," the maid congratulated. Poppy thanked the young maid with a small smile. The girl fell frozen at Poppy's gorgeous smile. She realized Poppy never really smiled in the Palace. Is she really happy here? She shook the thought away and continued with her objective. "His majesty summons you," the maid bowed. Poppy eyed her plate of sweets and frowned. She decided to just bring it with her. Screw him if he has a problem with me eating my own birthday food.

•••

Poppy stood before the King, plate of deserts in hand. But to her surprise another person was summoned along with her. She hadn't really gotten a good look at him when she walked up but at this point she felt that would be rude.

"My darling daughter. I would first like to wish you a happy birthday." Poppy curtsied, "thank you, your majesty." He nodded proudly at her elegant response, despite the plate of cakes.

"I will now announce your birthday present." The king glanced at the man beside Poppy. "Princess Poppy you are here by betrothed to the Duke, Loki Frost." Poppy's whole body went cold. 'Loki Frost?'

Duke Frost was well known for his cold demeanor. He was a master swordsman who had cleared all the demons in all of the northern region. So as a reward he gained the whole nothern domain to reign over. Which isn't really the best thing since it's baron and no one trades with that region. But it helped him gain power so his family was no longer just a Dukedom in name.

Poppy felt all hope for her bright future wither. 'I have to marry such a boring person?" She looked up to see her new fiancé's face. She didn't care if it was rude at this point. When she looked at his face her stomach sank. 'I have to marry the wall!"