Chapter Eight: This One's Just Right

Steven glanced in his review mirror and smiled at the sight of both the Princess and Duke fast asleep. 'They worked hard today.' Because of Poppy's help they were able to get through the gate in one piece. They were now in the Northern Region. The drive was still a bit far to get to the Dukes secluded mansion. 'Sleep tight young masters.'

•••

"Your grace," Steven called to Loki. Loki grumbled awake. His muscles slightly ached from the stiff leather seats. "We have arrived." Loki's eyes widened. He looked down and realized he hadn't finished his work. He tapped on the tables and watched as Poppy's body slowly lowered with it. She shot up and looked around in confusion. She removed a piece of hair from her mouth. "Are we here?" She pondered.

Steven gave her a polite nod while Loki just pushed past Steven and walked to his home. Poppy wasn't even the least bit surprised and just shrugged it off. "I'll just roam the grounds if that's okay?" Steven smiled, "this is your home now. You do not need to ask me permission to walk on your own..." he paused. "But do keep in mind that the Duke doesn't like to be disturbed while he is working. So avoid the room with a 'do not disturb' sign on the door."

•••

Poppy started with the outdoors. She wasn't surprised it was colder in the North but she barely got through investigating one garden before she gave up and went inside.

The entrance was simple. The whole mansion was bland. Very little life, or vibrancy. Even the maids looked plain. 'I hate it here already.' The maids bowed to Poppy when they saw her but made no attempt with any verbal greetings. She looked around a bit but again, everything was so plain it made her feel extremely bored. White walls. Black and grey furniture. A few golden chandeliers. No paintings. No flowers. Just a couple weird statues of headless men on horses.

She found Steven again, talking with a butler and she ran over to him. The butler bowed and left quietly. "Oh sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt," she stared. Steven turned to her with a small smile, "it's fine. We were done talking anyways, what can I do for you Princess?" His golden eyes only looked at her with patience and kindness. This made her less anxious to make her request "Um. By any chance is there an area far away from all life I could put my things?" Steven was taken aback by the question. 'Like the master's torture chamber?' He nodded. "Loki has many secluded areas. May I ask what things you want to be placed there. I promise I will take the knowledge with me to the grave." He placed a gloved hand over his heart. Poppy's eyes widened, "oh it's nothing that serious. Um, it's just I like experimenting. It's a hobby of mine. So I wanted to have a place I can put my laboratory to continue. Any open space will do."

Her indoor lab was a small greenhouse with bullet proof glass. So she shrunk the whole green house. Now all she needed was a flat surface. Steven nodded. "Follow me."

After a short walk they made it to a clearing. It was hills upon hills. "Does... does he own all of this?" Steven nodded. The grass was dying since winter was nearing, but it was beautiful nonetheless. The fall wind ruffled Stevens long pale green hair. He didn't let it bother him and waited patiently beside Poppy. He watched as Poppy grabbed a small glass item. She placed it on the ground and flicked the talisman off. Then she started booking it. She grabbed Stevens arm as they ran away from the glass item. He was confused at first until the glass item grew in levels. First small. Then medium. Then higher and bigger until a full greenhouse stood before them.

His eyes were wide. 'She had much more luggage than I thought .' Poppy laughed with glee as her second home stood before her in its familiar glory. She grabbed the miniature crate with her outdoor lab and put it on the ground. Steven knew what to do this time and ran out of the way of the growing structure she was laying down.

"Wow," was all he could say. Poppy grabbed her bag and turned to Steven. "That's it for now. My clothes and furniture can wait till later." 'She brought her furniture?!' He questioned in awe.

The Duke had called for Steven so now Poppy was on her own. When Steven was informed of his summons he quickly told her that all the bedrooms were empty so she could choose any of them, and ran off.

•••

Poppy walked into the first room and plopped on the bed. "Ouch," she yelped. It felt like she had sat on a rock. "Too hard," she frowned. Then to the second. She laid down in the bed and slowly sunk into the mattress. She sunk so low she could see the fabric envelope over her. "Too soft." One by one she laid in each bed but was never satisfied. Floor after floor, bed after bed, she grew more frustrated with herself for not bringing her own bed with her.

Then she reached the top floor and the bedroom at the end of the hall. It was the last bedroom, and if this one didn't work out she was seriously planning on running away. Poppy opened the room and found that this room was warmer than the rest. The walls were black instead of white so she thought that might be the reason. The furniture was as minimal as the rest so she didn't think much about it and headed straight for the bed.

She braced herself just in case it was hard but found that it was actually had a bit of laicity. She then began to prepare to sink down into a Mariana Trench of fluff but only lowered a bit. Poppy laid her head down and was astounded with just how comfortable it was. The sheets were silky and cold so it combated the warm room. "I'm in heaven," she sighed with relief.

Her muscles relaxed as her body was in a harmonious state of bliss. Drowsiness pulled at her eye lids as she let sleep take claim over her. A tiny smile pulled on her lips. She rolled into a comfortable position and wrapped the comforter around herself. Then she slept.