Chapter Eleven: Alone

Poppy had become close with the work staff because of the gifts she made. She had decided that helping everyone would be her current source of entertainment. Poppy's current new friend was the old in-house medic, Dr. Wilbur. He has been working at the manor even before the Duke was born.

The two had grown close by teaching each other new things about medicine. Wilbur has a lot of experience in ancient medicine, something there were few books about in the royal library.

After one of their mini classes Wilbur and Poppy sat in his clinic drinking tea and chatting. "So why is it that you and the Duke don't get along?" Wilbur wondered. Poppy frowned, "because he tried to kill me." She sipped her tea. Wilbur's expression saddened. "I do sincerely apologize for his behavior." Poppy shrugged, "nothing I can do about it. If he doesn't want me alive then I'll just stay away from him." She stared into her tea as the small tea flakes swirled around at the bottom of the cup.

Wilbur watched her. He noticed how as she talked about the Duke her shoulders would slouch. He had learned this was a sign of her disappointment or regret. Like when she thinks about a failed experiment. "Do you not mind a loveless marriage?"

Poppy pondered the question. "Do I mind one? Depends. I don't want one but I can live with one. I think ever girl is like that. Right?" She glanced up at Wilbur. He shook his head, "most girls aren't in your position. In this day and age, loveless marriages are only common in royal families." Poppy scoffed, "I guess 'Princess' is just another word for property." Wilbur patted her head. Poppy jolted from the action. Poppy wasn't used to this kind of physical affection, but she didn't mind it.

"I won't excuse the Duke's actions but I hope that you understand it from his point of view. He was raised in a world were he couldn't trust anyone. He barely trusts me and I've worked for him his whole life," Wilbur chuckled a husky and aged laugh. He stopped patting Poppy's head and grabbed his tea. "What about Steven," Poppy asked. Wilbur smiled, "hmm. I think Steven is the person he trusts the least in this world. A man who knows all his secrets. But if Steven ever betrays the Duke I think that he will lose all his faith in the world."

This explanation confused Poppy. 'So he does or doesn't trust Steven?' As Poppy was thinking an all too familiar siren rang through the air.

"A monster attack?" Poppy looked out the windows on the far side of the room and realized the sky was red.

•••

The old man calmly stood up and walked to the entrance of the room. Poppy was about to ask were he was going but then Loki popped up in the entrance. He looked at Poppy and then at the window. Poppy stood up to follow the Duke but then he and Wilbur were gone in a flash.

He had left her there.

Poppy looked into the halls and notice that Loki had cleared the mansion of all its staff. He was a magic swordsman. He was this mansion's safety measure. That's why Wilbur was so calm. The Duke could run faster then a car could drive so clearing the mansion and taking the people to safety was easy work for him.

She had hoped he would come for her. But as she waited and the seconds went by she knew deep inside that he was gone.

Poppy sighed. 'What was I expecting.' She didn't know where the staff had been placed but she did know a place that was pretty sturdy. Her lab.