Chapter Nine: Sleeping Beauty

What is she doing?" The Duke stood in
his bedroom door frame eyeing the lump under his comforter. Steven, peaked around the door frame. The sight before him was too unbelievable he wasn't sure if he should say it out loud. "Um, sire I believe she is sleeping."

"Yes, I see that. But why is she sleeping in my room?" He looked down at Steven with narrowed. Realization washed over Steven's face, 'I forgot to tell her where the Dukes bedroom was. But what were the chances she would choose this room? Maybe she wanted to sleep with him?'

Loki was already walking to the Princess before Steven could even stop what was happening. Loki ripped the comforter off Poppy. Stevens eyes went wide. Poppy had no reaction as she rolled onto her back, snugging his pillow. "Five more minutes," she mumbled. Loki was about to stab the woman before Steven grabbed the arm with a risen dagger. "If you do that you may start a war," he warned.

Loki was far to exhausted and frustrated to care if he started any wars. "So be it then," he sneered and brought down his dagger with strength so powerful Steven was powerless to stop it. "Young Master!" Steven shrieked. Loki's dagger nearly reached her stomach but stopped only inches from her. A shock wave radiated through his body as if he had stabbed a metal wall.

He dropped the dagger and hissed as he grabbed his probably broken wrist. "Holy mother of-." He cursed. Part of Steven was thankful the princess was safe but at the same time he was worried for the health of his master. 'A protection barrier?' He pondered.

Poppy reached for the comforter and slightly smiled when she found it and pulled it back over herself. Astonishment filled Loki at her audacity. "What if I put aura into the knife, then can I kill her?" Steven quickly grabbed the dagger and tossed it into the fireplace. The fire sparked as it came in contact with the metal. Loki glared at Steven, sending chills down his spine. "I liked that dagger." He deadpanned. "I'll buy you a new one," Steven responded.

Loki glared at Steven for a few more seconds as Steven prayed to live another. The Duke clicked his tongue and turned back to the culprit of his broken wrist. Steven suggested that Loki go to the infirmary and offered that he would wake the Princess in his master's stead. Loki begrudgingly accepted and walked out his room.

Steven let out a sigh of relief as he was able to live another day. He walked to the fire place and used one of the sticks to pull out the dagger. He whispered a small water incantation and doused the metal with water. It sizzled as it's glowing metal darkened.

He then walked over to Poppy and knelt down. He neared her ear and whispered, "waiting in long lines." "No!" Poppy screamed. She shot up in a cold sweat. 'As I thought,' Steven nodded to himself at his new discovery. "Good morning, Princess," Steven greeted with an annoyed grin. Poppy touched her chest and as her heart beat slowly calmed down. "That was so mean!" Poppy cried.

"Miss may I ask why you have chosen this room of all the rooms?" Poppy was in a sour mood from being so rudely awakened so her response was short. "The bed." Steven raised an eyebrow. "The bed?" He restated. She nodded, "the other beds were uncomfortable. All except this one. Actually it's probably the best bed I have ever slept on!" Steven frowned, "if you had told me I could have gotten a better bed for you."

Poppy eyed the deep black night sky outside. 'What time is it?' She wondered. "But I like this one?" Steven sighed, "this is actually the Dukes bedroom." Her eyes widened. "Oh," she acknowledged. He nodded. "So it was him who tried to kill me?" Steven's heart stopped. "You knew?" She nodded. "All royals have protection spells branded on their skin at birth." Poppy tapped behind her ear. "It also tells us alerts of nearby danger. I was just too tired to respond."

Steven pondered her explanation. "If you don't mind me asking, what would you have done if you were awake?" Poppy thought about the question, then smiled an eerie smile. "A magician never tells their secrets," she innocently chuckled but it sent a chill down Steven's spine. 'The masters are such scary people.'