Chapter 7

Sage was on his feet in no time, with his crook held up defensively as he faced the giant beast with glowing eyes. His heart pounded in his chest and adrenaline erased his shoulder's pain.

Then the wolf laughed, deep and mirthful.

The sound was so unexpected that Sage took a step back, keeping the crook raised.

But, as Sage remained frozen, the wolf transformed. His limbs shifted, morphing into thick legs and muscled arms, and his silver fur thinned and retreated, revealing shining bronzed flesh. Last, the wolf's snout shortened and his cheeks filled out. The figure, who now crouched where the wolf had once been, slowly stood. His eyes remained a glowing red, and as his full lips smiled, they revealed still-pointed canines.

"Kneel, mortal." The voice was deep and resonating and knocked Sage from his stupor.

Sage kneeled, the crook dropping from his hand, his eyes dropping to the ground. His lips puckered, a question forming, but his mind and body did not allow the words to come.

But there was one thing he knew for certain: his mother had been telling him the truth all along. Why would his father would lie to him? What game was he playing?

"Good." The figure stepped forward, passing through the fence as easily as if it were made of fog. "You were brave today, the way you charged at me."

Charged at him? He had attacked a god that morning? Was he about to be punished? Why else would the god be here, if not to seek retribution? But why would a god attack the sheep in the first place? Confusion and panic constricted Sage's breathing.

"Do you know who I am?" the god asked, his voice as smooth as snake scales.

"Carmine," Sage answered without hesitation, the knowledge coming with instant clarity. Who else would have red eyes, deeper than the crimson of fresh blood, richer than even the most valuable rubies? Carmine, the middle son of Aurelia, the patron god of hunting and fishing.

"My sister knew you would defend your flock. But before we offered you any assistance, I wanted to make sure you were worthy of it." Carmine took another step forward, his bare toes padding silently on the grass.

"Your sister?" Sage asked, wonder in his voice.

He had been so mad at the gods less than an hour before. And he had been raised knowing the story that Aurelia, the goddess of motherhood, had delivered a prophecy about him. But actually being in the presence of an immortal being was more intense than he could have imagined. Everything around him seemed to shimmer and his skin prickled with the static in the air.

"Tawny," the god clarified. Tawny was the youngest daughter of Aurelia, and she was the patron goddess of domesticated animals. "Marigold would never spare a shepherd a passing thought. She spends all her time dealing with distressed farmers, as I'm sure you would imagine. That, and chasing after Sterling, that bratty son of hers."

"Tawny," Sage repeated, stupidly.

"Yes, that's what I just said..." Carmine let out an impatient huff. "You've shown your devotion; you can stop kneeling now."

Sage placed his hands on his knee and slowly rose to standing, his movements tentative, and his head still bowed. He desperately wanted to know why this god was visiting him, and with a boldness that seized his tongue, he spoke. "May I ask why were you and Tawny speaking of me?"

"Oh, shepherd boy..." Carmine took another step forward and placed a hand on Sage's shoulder. "I'm not here to answer your questions. Not yet."

The god's hand was heavy and radiated heat. A calm flooded throughout Sage's body, and he looked up. When his eyes met the god's, he was trapped. The thick sanguine of Carmine's eyes undulated like a lava flow, hypnotizing him.