Chapter 12

As they walked down the coast, the sense of adventure in Sage's gut morphed into something different: hunger. The sky overhead was a brilliant blue, with only a few fluffy clouds bobbing across its expanse, but their shadows were already lengthening. In the distance, the path they were walking on curved away from the coastline and headed under the cover of trees. They would have to stop to set up a camp at some point soon.

Sage turned to Violet. Sunlight glinted off of her blonde hair and her eyes were fixed on the road ahead. But after a moment, she smiled and turned towards him.

"Why are you staring at me?" she asked, a coy smile tugging at the corner of her lips.

They had been quiet for most of the last hour, with the constant ocean breeze kissing their cheeks and buzzing in their ears. His mind had been swirling and crashing in time with the waves. Why did Tawny want these three plants? How would she help him once he had shown his devotion to her? Were the gods watching him, even now?

"Have you been to Cerikipos before?" Sage asked, thinking about the gnawing feeling in his gut, and wondering if it was a mistake that they had only thought to fill their waterskins before heading out on the road. The pouch on his waist was empty and his satchel was pathetically light. They should have stopped by his house first to grab more supplies–at least some bread and cheese–even if that would have risked running into her father.

"Yes. With my mother and aunt." Violet tucked a loose strand of hair behind her ear. "We made an offering to Cerise after I became of marriageable age."

Sage had been planning to ask if they were going to pass any farms that might offer them hospitality, but her comment caught him off guard and his mouth twisted. "But our families had promised us to each other before then."

"Yes." Violet nodded. "There was never a doubt that I would be married. But marriage and love are two separate things."

Her words reminded Sage of what Tawny had said about the dangers of love and the importance of loyalty, and was about to say so when a hawk cried overhead, drawing his attention away from Violet. He turned from the coast and toward the forest on their left. Up ahead, a tree with dark green leaves and clusters of fruit caught his eye.

"Are those apricots?" Sage pointed.

"What?" Violet asked, confused by the sudden change in subject.

"That tree." He pointed. "It's a little early in the season, but I think those are apricots."

"I mention love, and you think of apricots?"

"Well, they are sort of shaped like hearts, aren't they? Besides, I'm famished, aren't you?" Sage shrugged one shoulder. "Let's stop and pick some."

"Now that you mention it, I could definitely eat," Violet agreed.

They picked up their pace and hurried over to where the apricot tree stood, just a few paces off the road. While some of the fruit was small and green, several of the fruit bore bright rosy complexions. Sage reached up and plucked a couple from a low branch. He tossed one to Violet and bit into the other. Sweet juice dripped down his chin as he chewed.

After finishing the first, Sage reached up and grabbed several more, placing them in his satchel. Looking down at the spare tunic and bandages, he once again regretted their hasty departure. "These apricots would really go nicely in a rabbit stew," he muttered.

"We don't have a pot for stew," Violet pointed out.

"Even if we had a pot, I can't catch a rabbit with just this shepherd's crook." Sage gestured at the staff he had leaned against the tree trunk.