Chapter 9

A brown smudge formed in the air above the stream, almost like a dust cloud. It hovered and floated and condensed as it moved toward the shore, and Sage felt compelled to push away from the Willow's trunk and to step forward. He blinked as it coalesced into the shape of a young woman, who rippled into existence, then stepped from thin air and onto the soft grass by the stream.

She was dressed differently than before, but it was the same girl from outside the temple. Deep tanned skin, rich brown hair, and eyes that sparkled like sunlight through amber. Her dress was still simple, lacking any beading or intricate embroidery, but the material was unknown to Sage. It seemed magical. It looked like the pelt of a doe, but it swayed with silky lightness.

As she approached, the air filled with static, and as the hairs on his arms stood, Sage kneeled. His head bowed low under the weight of his awe. "Tawny," he whispered, his mouth suddenly dry. "Please forgive my tardiness."

With his eyes lowered, he noticed a beetle crawling in the long grass, its black carapace iridescent in the sun, and he wondered if the gods saw humans the same way: small and insignificant.

"My brother didn't tell you to come to this stream, so how would you have known?" Her voice was melodic and young.

Sage wasn't sure what to say in response. He didn't want to offend Carmine by agreeing with her. So, instead, he stayed in a servile position, his mouth silent.

After a moment, the goddess continued. "Did my brother tell you why you were summoned?"

"No, my lady, he did not." Sage hoped his voice did not tremble.

Sage heard her move, sandals brushing against the grass, but did not dare raise his eyes until allowed. Tawny was off to his right, and when she spoke next, her voice had a distant quality that let him know she had turned away from him.

"Your mother is a very devout woman," she said.

"Indeed," Sage agreed.

"She prays to my mother daily and provides many offerings. I am not privy to what my mother's dedicants pray, but I know she is very concerned about you."

Her words covered him like a warm blanket. The gods really did listen, and maybe his mother's advice had been correct all along. As soon as he got home, he would tell his mother that he had been visited by the gods. He would tell her that Aurelia listened to her prayers.

"So, should I stop worrying? Will Aurelia change my form before my wedding day?" His brows lifted, and he glimpsed Tawny's sandals as they turned back towards him.

The goddess stepped forward and brushed her fingertips across his short hair. "Rise."

He slowly stood, but kept his gaze lowered.

"Your mother is faithful to the gods, just as you are faithful to your sheep. And–I must add–to your beloved, Violet." She paused. "To be faithful is to have honor."

Sage nodded in agreement. He knew that Tawny was the goddess of domesticated animals: sheep, cows, horses, even chickens and dogs. Animals that relied on humans, just as humans relied on them. These animals were an extension of the family unit. Both Tawny's mother, Aurelia, and her father, Azure, were patrons of the family. Loyalty was of utmost importance.

"Marriage goes beyond love," Tawny said, reaching her finger out and tilting Sage's eyes up to meet hers. "Marriage is about joining families and creating stability."

Sage's eyebrows furrowed, and before he could stop himself, he asked, "Isn't marriage the ultimate act of love?"

Her nose flared, no doubt annoyed that a mere human had questioned her, but then Tawny took a deep breath, her lips spreading into a sad smile. She shook her head slowly. "Love is as fickle as fire, and if you're not careful, you'll be nothing but ash."

Sage doubted Cerise, the goddess of love, would agree with Tawny on this point. Weren't they cousins? Although immortality and the limited number of gods had to change how they viewed each other. They might all be related to each other through either lineage or marriage, but that didn't make them one big family in the sense that a human would think of it.

"Loyalty is more important than love," Tawny stated, firm and final.

Sage nodded. "I am loyal to Violet. And I will be to my dying breath."

"I know you are," she said, her tone softening like butter left out in the sun.

It was an affirming statement. Sage felt the warmth of her words and saw it as an opportunity. "So, what must I do to marry her?"

The goddess cocked her head, her lower lip plumping. "Aren't you already betrothed?"

"Yes, but... my body." He glanced down and swept his hand down his form.

Her eyes followed his hand movements, and she nodded. "Is it just your body that threatens your future with Violet?"

Sage blinked. What was she talking about? A breeze rustled the hanging branches of the willow tree, its shadow dancing in the long grass. The only thing that kept him from acting on his love for Violet was the incompleteness of his body. Everything else was perfect.

Or it had been, before Carmine had attacked the flock in wolf form.

Last night, Timaeus had referred to his marriage with an "if", although it wasn't a settled matter. As though the contracts signed in blood could somehow be revoked or invalidated. And that had nothing to do with Sage's body.

As though she read his mind, Tawny spoke again. "You need to settle things with Timaeus before you do anything else... Who is watching the sheep right now?"

"Your brother told me to visit you," he protested. Was this another test of loyalty? To see if he would answer a god's call over his duty to the flock? He didn't understand.

Tawny clucked her tongue. The sun glinted off her eyes with the same sparkle that it made when hitting the nearby babbling stream. "Well, you better rush back and make sure they are being taken care of."

She couldn't leave yet! What had been the purpose of this visit if not to fix his form? To learn the way to Aurelia? "And then what?" he asked, his voice pleading and embarrassingly high pitched.

Tawny's image faded, the colors bleeding into the background. All the greens and browns blending together like the many layers of leaves in the thick forest. But when she spoke, her voice remained firm. "You must prove your loyalty. Your honor."

"To Violet?" He stepped forward, hoping that by closing the distance, she might stay longer to answer the questions that burned on his tongue.

She nodded, the air rippling around her like running water. "To her whole family."

Unbidden, Sage thought of the upcoming music festival and his plan to sneak away with Violet, and he felt a wave of shame for even thinking about leaving his flock under the sole supervision of a dog.

Like she could read his mind, Tawny said, "Don't sneak away from your flock. You must protect them."

The tips of Sage's ears burned, and his eyes landed on his toes. "But your mother, will she change my form? Must I just have faith?" He worried at his lip, needing more guidance. He wasn't sure that he could follow her advice if the goddess told him to wait and do nothing.

The borders of Tawny's form continued to melt into each other as she spoke. "Your mother prays, but I can sense that you want to do more."

"I do!" he pleaded.

For a moment, the air stood still. The goddess came back into focus as she first considered Sage and then spoke. "Even the mightiest tree needs deep roots to survive. Show me your honor by bringing me the roots of three plants: ginger, barrenwort, and winter cherry. But remember, do not leave your flock unattended. You should run home before some other tragedy befalls them."

And then, in a flash of amber light, she disappeared.

"But where do I leave the offering?" he called after her, running towards the air she had just occupied. He threw his hands up and his head back. The incompleteness of her message frayed his nerves.

He knew he should heed her final advice and rush back to Timaeus's farm, but he needed a moment for his thoughts to settle before he could move.

And then, as he stood, there was a rustling behind him. His gut clenched as slowly he turned around, not sure what he would find.