Chapter 13

Ozan's fingers danced along the strings of his lute, weaving a rich melody as he hummed. Sage and Violet leaned against each other, entranced, as the young bard closed his eyes and sang.

"Along the length of Creathe's coastal ground,

Cerise was distracted by a beautiful sound.

While looking for her mother, Viridian,

She instead found hair, black as obsidian.

His tan back glistened in the evening light,

As he pulled in his nets with all his might.

The beauty of his voice had such a sway,

That the goddess of love couldn't look away.

Her heart became so desirous,

That she conceived her daughter Iris.

Love and music combined and came to be,

Blessed by the salt of the churning sea."

With a few more plucks of his fingers, the song ended, and Ozan opened his eyes to look at his audience of two.

Violet clapped her hands enthusiastically.

"That was amazing," Sage said in earnest. "I could practically see Cerise as she walked down the shore."

Ozan kept the lute cradled in his lap, absent-mindedly caressing its strings. "Do you understand why I assumed you were from fishermen families?" he asked.

Sage and Violet both shook their heads. "Everyone in Creathe knows the tale of Iris's birth. But..." He shrugged one shoulder as his voice trailed off.

"Cerise, daughter of the sea, chose a fisherman to be the father of her only child." Ozan held up one palm. "Her loyalties are clear."

The word loyalty tickled at Sage's memories. "But she's the goddess of love, not loyalty, and we all experience love."

Ozan raised his eyebrows and smiled wide, showing off his slightly crooked front teeth. "Who, my new friend, is the goddess of loyalty?"

"Tawny," Sage and Violet answered in unison.

Ozan held up one finger triumphantly. "Exactly." And then he stood. "Thank you for the company, but now that I have eaten, I shall take my leave. I hope to reach Creathe before nightfall."

Violet and Sage stood as well, brushing the dirt from the backs of their thighs. "The first ranch you see shall be my family's," Violet spoke. "My father, Timaeus, will gladly offer you hospitality for the night. But, Ozan, can I ask that you don't mention seeing us?"

Ozan nodded thoughtfully. "I understand your position, but as a guest, it would be against my honor to lie to him if asked directly."

"Of course," Sage agreed. "Just please do not volunteer the information. That is all we ask. And with the luck of the gods, we will nearly be to Cerikipos before he could set after us."

"I wish you luck." Ozan stuck out one hand towards Sage, who grasped it firmly. "There are several farmhouses along the road. I am sure you will reach one of them before nightfall, as long as you don't dally." He winked and then let go of Sage's hand.

A blush crept up Sage's neck as Ozan walked back to the road.

Violet touched his shoulder. "We should probably be on our way as well."