Chapter 20

The morning rays brushed Sage's forehead, stirring him awake. He blinked the dew from his eyelids and saw Violet was still asleep in his arms. He inhaled deeply, wanting to be filled with her essence, and as his chest expanded, his hips moved forward, causing a throb of heat between his legs.

He bit at his lower lip, startled by how sensitive he had become. How easily aroused. Not wanting to wake Violet just yet, he shifted onto his back and let his hand drift downwards and he could feel his own pulsing desire through his trousers. Was it his imagination, or was there some subtle change? A tightness seemed to be sprouting, expanding his flesh.

He allowed his hand to drift up under the hem of his shirt, just above the waist of his trousers. But before he could dare explore further, he noticed a coarseness on his stomach and he propped himself up so he could see. Several dark hairs had sprouted under his belly button.

Tentatively, he reached his hand to his chest, but only found disappointment when his thumb grazed against the softness that had been there since his body first started betraying him.

He must have let out a groan because Violet muttered, "What's wrong?"

Removing his hand, Sage turned back on his side. "Nothing is wrong, but it is morning. Time to get up."

She yawned, her body arching back, causing a fresh wave of lust to crash into him. But then she sat up, rubbed at her eyes, and said, "Thank goodness we still have that bread from the priest. I'm starved!"

"Mmm-hmm," Sage agreed, sitting up and trying to shift his weight to alleviate the sensitive strain he felt.

Violet took the loaf of bread, ripped it in two pieces, handed one piece to Sage, and then she took a bite, several crumbs falling onto her bosom. Sage's eyes followed the crumbs and lingered.

"Thinking about last night?" she teased.

Sage chuckled, embarrassed at being caught gawking so openly. "Maybe," he admitted, and then took a bite from his half of the loaf.

"Me too," she said, a blush creeping up her neck.

Sage scooted closer to her on the ground so their knees touched. "After Aurelia fulfills her promise, I think we should get married right away."

Violet pressed her leg into his, but just took another bite of bread, not saying anything in response. Then, after she had swallowed her last bite and taken a sip of water from the waterskin, she turned to him. "I love you. I loved you yesterday, and I will love you tomorrow." She rested her hand on his knee, pushed herself upward, and then extended her arm out to him. "Let's go climb a mountain."

Sage grasped her hand and stood. He was overcome with a different kind of heat. It radiated from his heart and flowed to the tips of his fingers and toes. "I don't deserve you."

"It's up for debate," she said with a laugh, then turned and walked ahead.

Sage grabbed the satchel and shepherd's crook and then hurried after her.

They walked through the wide field, birds chirping from the surrounding trees, insects buzzing through the tall grasses, until the path sloped up. As the ground became more rocky, a few short evergreen trees lined the path. Sage took in a deep breath of the morning air and felt invigorated.

"So far, this hike has been quite beautiful," Sage said, looking around at the view.

Violet clucked her tongue. "Don't let your guard down. You heard Tawny's warning. Besides, the trees are blocking our view to the top. Who knows what we will face?"

"I know, I know," Sage answered. "We are still just in the foothills. The path is only going to become steeper and rockier. And once we reach the tree line, I can only hope that the road remains clear."