Chapter 30

Three Months Later

Sage and his parents stood on a small raised platform next to the wheat field, the golden stalks swaying gently in the ocean breeze. Xanthus drove his chariot across the expansive sky, shining down brightly on the crowd that had gathered for the celebration.

As he watched his neighbors–many of whom he'd never met–stand around in small groups exchanging pleasantries, Sage's stomach twisted into knots. He rolled his shoulders, trying to loosen the new stiff tunic he was wearing.

Telethusa rubbed her son's back. "It's normal to feel nervous on your wedding day," she assured him.

"I'm not nervous," he protested as he rubbed his sweaty palms down his thighs.

Phillip reached out and brushed the nearby stalks of wheat. "They're ready to harvest," he observed.

Sage smiled, thinking about the line from the prophecy. Cerise had made his body male, but marrying Violet would make his life whole. He followed his father's example and plucked off the head of one stalk, then tucked it in the button loop on his collar.

He'd harvested the wheat, and now his form was ready to be complete.

His fingers lingered at the edge of his tunic, which had a lower neck-line than he was used to. Without the need for bindings, he was free to wear lighter clothes better suited for the warm summer weather.

Sage was still adjusting to his new form, learning his new dimensions.

Some of his transformation had been immediate, like his outside shape. Other changes, however, were slower to bloom. His throat felt thick, and he had become prone to speaking in pops and squeaks as his voice broke and deepened. The bones in his hands and feet ached as he experienced a growth spurt. His muscles became stronger each day. And his skin was itchy and irritable with new hair growth.

All the newness about his body–as exhilarating as it was–felt awkward while he was in front of the crowd, strangers watching him.

He tried to relax by looking around. Symbols of Cerise, Tawny, and Aurelia all hung side-by-side on the fence posts by the road. The air was filled with the scent of roasting meats and spices mingled with the fragrance of wildflowers and hay bales.

But just beyond the crowd and across the road was Violet's house, and that was where she was with her family and the priest. All he wanted was for her to walk to him and join her life with his.

Right when Sage felt like he couldn't wait any longer, Ozan stepped to the corner of the raised platform. He held his lute delicately in his hands, closed his eyes, and played.

The crowd hushed, mesmerized.

The door opened. Cerise's priest led the procession, tall and regal in dazzling gold-lined dark pink silk robes. They were followed first by Eugenia and Jason, and then by Timaeus and Violet.

Timaeus had not immediately forgiven Sage, but the heart-shaped amulet had convinced him of Cerise's blessing, and he had begrudgingly allowed the wedding preparations to continue. But now, Sage saw Timaeus was grinning with his head held high, as though all memory of him ripping up the marriage contract and calling off this wedding had been erased.

As Violet walked down the aisle, her eyes locked onto Sage's, and all his nervous energy melted away.

This was the woman who climbed mountains for him, defied gods for him, and loved him for who he was, rather than what form his body took. Her blonde hair was braided into a wreath that was decorated with delicate purple flowers, and under the glimmering sun, it looked like a golden crown, which was fitting, because she was his queen, and he would spend the rest of his life in her service.

How could he feel anything except for pure joy?

The priest reached the platform first, stepped up next to Sage, smiled at him, and then turned to face the assembled townspeople.

Eugenia and Jason stepped up next and stood off to the side.

Timaeus held his daughter's hand as she lifted her skirt with her free hand and stepped up. He then leaned over to kiss her cheek. Wiping a tear from his eye, the imposing man nodded at Sage with approval and then joined his wife and son on the edge of the stage.

Ozan finished the song he was playing as Sage and Violet turned to face each other and reached out to grasp hands.

"Welcome, beloved family and neighbors, as we gather to witness and celebrate the union of Sage and Violet," the priest began, their rich and melodic voice ringing out over the hushed audience.

As they stood there, in the corner of his eye, Sage noticed the air shimmer and his skin tingled.

In the split second before a form materialized, Sage wondered whether he should feel blessed by a god's presence, or terrified.

Was it Sterling, back to steal Violet?

Tawny and Carmine to question their loyalty?

Or could it be Cerise to bless their union herself?

The buzzing on Sage's skin intensified as the golden-horned goddess bathed in blue stepped forward.

Everyone immediately fell to their knees.

"Son of Telethusa and daughter of Eugenia," Aurelia spoke. Then she reached out both her hands and rested them on Sage and Violet's heads, and she blessed them. "You may have been betrothed since childhood, but this is a marriage built on love. One that has been tested, but always nourished, and with loyalty, it has flourished. May your happiness grow and thrive for as long as you are both alive."

Sage felt a warmness seep through him, and he opened his eyelids. Violet was already staring at him, and he could feel tears prickle the corner of his eyes.

The goddess disappeared as quickly as she had arrived, but she left behind a glittering of magic that seemed to radiate off everyone who had witnessed her blessing.

The priest held up the ceremonial ribbon and asked Sage and Violet to hold hands. Then they wrapped the soft cloth tightly around their intertwined fingers. When they were done, they announced, "Your futures are connected, your fates bound for all time. Your families are one."

Sage leaned forward and kissed his bride.

With the sunlight dancing on the wheat fields, Sage and Violet held up their hands, which had been joined in matrimony, and looked out at the world before them. They had overcome so much to be together, and now they were united in love.

As they stepped off the stage and into the cheering crowd, Ozan plucked at his lute and sang a song. It was a gentle ballad, and his voice carried over the sea of people. As the melody swelled, Sage and Violet realized the lyrics were about them.

"Their love prevailed, against all odds

Fought for each other, against all godsWith hearts entwined, they face the test of time,Forever bound, their love will always shine."

Tears of joy streamed down Violet's face as Sage clasped her hand. This was their moment, the moment they had been waiting for. They had fought so hard for their love, and now it was being celebrated by all.

THE END!