4: Carl

“Do you have to go?” Arianne asks me just before I send her on the way to the bus. She hadn’t actually been able to go the first week of school. Uncle D refused for the longest time to sign her paperwork, even though he said he did it halfway to the summer. I would have, but it needed to be signed by a parent or legal guardian. At least my school didn’t need it.

  Well, kinda school, anyway.

  “Ari, we’ve been over this,” I say as I kneel down to her level, adjusting her backpack as I do. “You know the deal I made with Uncle D.”

  “Yeah. But that was before you-” she had started to yell, but stopped and looked around, thinking better of it. She lowered her voice to a whisper instead. “-you were attacked by vampires. I’m worried for you.”

  “I know,” I sigh, looking at the sidewalk. It was broken and cracked, desperately in need of repair. The red, orange, and yellow fallen leaves fluttered across my field of vision. Though it wasn’t even near the same shade, I still shuddered at the sight of the yellow ones. Arianne noticed and her expression became more worried.

  “I know they happen everyday, but for it to happen to you? It’s scary to think about.” Looking back at Ari, I see that her face hasn’t changed from anxious and worried, but confusion was added to it as well. “Why didn’t you tell him? About the attack?” 

  “Because he’s got a lot on his plate, what with Ma’s meeting and all.” 

  “I didn’t think of that,” she said in such a tone that I knew what she was really saying. I didn’t believe a word of what you just said and I know you don’t either. She was right. But she didn’t call me out on it verbally and for that, I’m thankful. Her dark blue, knee high dress blew in the little wind over her casual black leggings. The hairband she’s wearing started to fall off and I fixed that. Her hair is combed back and as straight as possible. Uncle D doesn’t like it any other way and refuses to let her go out without her hair like that or in a braid at least. 

  “Look, it’s not just Uncle D that’s making me go. I want to go. I need to make it to your graduation, at the very least.” I give her the best fake confident smirk I could manage.

  “Oh…” Finally, I’m getting her to calm down a little. The only nerves she should have should be how the other kids will see her, what friends she wants, or whether she’ll like her teachers or not. Fifth grade stuff.

  “Yeah…. I neeeeed to be there to embarrass the crap out of ya.” I ruffled her hair, forgetting that I just adjusted her headband but making her laugh all the same. In fact, that’s probably why she laughed.

  “There’s no way in hell you are,” she replied as she moved my hand away. I laugh with her. Just then, I hear the bus stopping at least a few stops away. 

  “The bus is almost here. Remember our rule about curses,” I remind as I readjust her headband. She nods and I prepare to say it with her, as always.

  “No cursing in front of anyone other than you (me) and never in a mean way.”

  “Good.” The bus pulls to a stop next to us. I stand and push her gently towards the open doors. “Now get outta here, ruffian.” She giggles and turns to me when she’s on the first step and bows. 

  “Only ‘cause I want to, ya claud!” Her and I share a laugh before she gets scolded by the bus driver for not taking a seat. She spares me one last wave and hurries to a seat. As the bus drives off, I notice that Ari is sitting alone. Again.

  Please let her find a few friends, I hope with all my might as I walk off on my own journey, hoping the same for me. And that I survive.

* * *