8: Carl

I've come to love the familiar jingle of these doors. Most people aren't here at all on Wednesdays, especially at 2:30pm. The rush is almost always noon to two, so Su is immediately able to embrace me in a hug, running out from behind the counter.

"How ya been, knucklehead?" she asks, ruffling my hair.

"Careful," I wince, but still hug back. "We just got out of training."

"We?" She pushes away from me and looks behind me. Her eyes light up upon seeing Kelsey, who waves cheerfully. Su immediately lets go of me and goes to shake Kelsey's hand. Very vigorously, but Kelsey is just as vigorous in her shake, so it's evened out. "It's so nice to meet you! I'm Susan, but you can call me Su."

"Hi Su!" Kelsey replied, just as enthused. "I'm Kelsey. We came here-"

"Oh, I'm so happy that Carl brought one of his friends to see me." Kelsey seemed disgruntled at the interruption, but smiled anyway. "I was beginning to wonder if he was telling the truth about having friends." I look down at the floor, ignoring whatever she says next. She's known me for years, got me my first real job that wasn't simply taking out the trash in the building; Su isn't trying to be mean.

I actually remember when I first came in here. Arianne was sick and Uncle D was away on a mission. I didn't know what to do; I was only 14. So I ran to the nearest convenience store and tried to buy all the medicine I thought would help. Z-Quil, Day-Quil, Advil, Claritin Clear, ect.

Su had looked down at me in confusion, but jokingly asked if I was running a hospital or something. When I explained my situation, her features changed from confusion and worry to anger and sadness. She told me that if I gave her my address, she would be by when her shift ended. I was hesitant at first but her warm summer green eyes and kind smile won me over.

As promised, at 5:00, I heard a few raps on the door. Hurring away from Arianne's bed, I ran to the door and let her in. As it turned out, I was overreacting and Ari just had the common cold. But since then, I went to her as often as possible. She soon became my only friend. And when she would ask about any other friends I had, I would lie and tell her that I had some; they were all just as busy as me.

I remove myself from my spiraling thoughts, only to see Kelsey is now next to me and still talking to Su, who had curiosity in her smile now.

"- Like, go to the stupid infirmary already. I thought that, I didn't say it," She said, earning a small, seemingly unwilling chuckle from Su. Then she grabbed my left hand, me wincing because of it. "But either way, he says he trusts you more than medical professionals, so we need you to take a look at this."

"Ow! Kelsey!" I yell as she thrusts my hand forward. "Easy! Jeez."

"Woah," is all Su says as she takes my hand gingerly. She pokes it slightly, and examines it as best she can without taking off the makeshift jean bandage. Then out of nowhere she yells, causing both me and Kelsey to jump. "Phil! Come to the front! I need to take care of Carl! He- cut his hand on a knife."

"Comin boss!" He yells. His voice has a thick Texan accent, one that I found calming. In a weird way. Anyway, as he comes out from the door leading to the back. His dirty blonde hair is in it's usual mess, waves making it stick up in the weirdest ways. It was actually very close to being a mullet, but the hair is about the same length in the front, so it can't be. His face was round, but not chubby. His eyes were almost blue, but seemed to settle for sea green.

He was about as tall as me, and he wasn't that built; not like the guys at training. But, he wasn't chubby either. He seemed to be the best of both worlds, a perfect mix.

"Uh, Carl?" Kelsey says, poking me in the shoulder. "I think your rash is back." Crap. Not now...

"You got a rash? I think we have somethin fer that down the aisle over ther," Phil says, pointing to the aisle in question. I cover my face with both my hands, which I immediately regret. Pain shoots up my entire left arm and I cry out with it. Phil's look changes from calm and laid back to worry and concern. "You ok?"