iii. The First Encounter

After dropping off my bag in the car, I walk down the street, hands in my pockets, when I spot a small music shop. "Mm I could use a few more albums." I whisper to myself. As I walk in, a little bell above the door makes a chime and the cashier glances over at me before looking back down at their comic book.

I start skimming through the selections they had before spotting The Zombies' Begin Here Album. "Oh hell yea! I've been looking everywhere for this." I whisper trying not to get attention from the 5 other customers. I grab the album and make my way over to the metal section. I spot a Van Halen ll vinyl from the corner of my eye and the memories flood in.

It was the winter formal 1981, eighth grade. My old best friend, Jayden Colman, and I had ditched the dance and ran to a nearby park. We played around, going up and down the slides and him pushing me on the swings. We went on the monkey bars before going back to his place. I remember he put on Van Halen ll on his record player and we just danced the night away with that vinyl playing on repeat. At one point during Light up the Sky he pulled me in for my first kiss and we made out until his mom caught us and sent me home. After winter break I had found out he moved. I never got to say good bye.

I shake the memory away and keep walking around before someone gives me a weird look. I keep walking up and down the aisles before finding Mötley Crüe's Newer album, Theatre of Pain. My eyes light up and I immediately reach for it before brushing up against someone else's hand. Their silver, metal rings were cold, sending shivers down my spine.

"Oh sorry." A deep voice said, chuckling while I look up at them. I can't lie. Their long, luscious curls and denim vest filled with different metal band pins/patches made the man next time me look really fucken cool. I guess I stared at him too long because the next thing he said was "Hey.. you good?"

I blinked for a second before replying, "Oh yea. I'm- Sorry." I shook my head in embarrassment as he chuckled at the awkwardness. I quickly realized I'm still holding onto the album and quickly retract my hand. "Oh! Here, you can take it." I hand him the album.

"Oh no it's ok. You take it." He hands me the album back. Now I start to feel bad. I can't take it what if that's rude. But he did just offer it back. No, what if he secretly wants us to give it to him- But then why would he- I realize I spaced out in my thoughts again.

"No no I don't really need it." I hand it back while nervously chuckling. Ok now this is just stupid. He smiles. God he looks cute.

"No it's fine really- I already have it. Here." He places it in my hands. I give him a small smile.

"Alright then. Thank you." We just stand there in silence for a second before he sticks out his hand.

"Eddie," I shake his hand, "And you are?"

"Roxanne. Roxanne Henderson." He gives me a weird expression.

"That's funny, I know a kid with that same last name."

"Really? That's coo-" I get cutoff by someone bursting in and yelling.

"What the hell are you two doing?!" I look over to see Dustin with an annoyed expression.

Dustin's pov:

God this is literally hell. WE'VE BEEN HERE FOR 3 GOD DAMN HOURS. Roxy is so paying me back for this. Wait. Where is she? "Mom? Mom, where's Roxy?" She looks around before turning to me.

"Hm. I'm not sure, but we'll look for her after I try on this last dress." I shake my head. I'm not going through this shit again.

"It's fine. I think I know where she went." I run out the store and walk down the street to the music shop on the corner. I look through the glass window and see her talking to Eddie. I sigh. WAIT. WHY IS SHE TALKING TO EDDIE.

I quickly look back at them. Ugh she's blushing and he's smiling. This is exactly why I had to keep her away from them. I burst in already annoyed at her for leaving me alone with mom for an extra hour.

"What the hell are you two doing?!" I cross my arms and tap my foot impatiently. They quickly shift their attention from each other onto me.

"Henderson? What are you doing here?" Eddie questions me as Roxy looks between us, confused.

"Wait a second. You know Dusters?!"

"Yea! This is the kid that- wait.. DUSTERS?"

"I'm not dealing with this shit right now. We gotta go, mom's waiting." I take the albums out of Roxy's hand and placing them on a shelf before rushing her out of there.

"Hey! Dude I was gunna get those!" She looks back to see Eddie standing in the middle of the aisle, full of confusion. I continue running back to the store where I see mom paying. "DUSTIN WAIT A FUCKEN MINUTE GOSH." She let's go of my hand, panting from the running.

"NO. NO WAITING. I DON'T WANT YOU NEAR EDDIE OR ANY OF THE HELLFIRE CLUB MEMBERS. OK?" I blow up on her. She goes silent for a minute.

"Fine." I sigh and as I go to say thank you, she continues. "But I want an explanation as to why I can't go near your friends." I inhale deeply to calm myself down.

"Because.." I think about it for a second, " Because I don't want them bugging me about my 'super cool sister' and I don't want them asking me to invite you over for every campaign or sleepover. I just don't wanna get replaced by you ok."

Roxy's pov:

I stand there shocked and touched at what came out of my little brother's mouth. "You think I'm... cool?"

"Well yea. I think everyone does." He replies a little irritated. I pull him into a deep hug and i can just sense the confusion from him.

"I promise, I'll keep my distance from them ok?" I keep him in a tight hug until I hear him gasping. I giggle as I let him go.

"Awwh! How touching! Dang I wish I had my camera. We ready to go?" Ugh, I forgot about mom. I gesture them to go inside the car and we make our way back home.

A/N:

man this chapter took the last bit of energy outta me so i hope y'all liked it and peace out brochachos 🤟